Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
July 5th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


City ViewCity ViewCity View

Our hotel was located in one of the quiet side streets right in the city center.
We loved Spain and would highly recommend it to everyone who will listen to us! The people were really nice, the architecture was amazing, and the lifestyle was one I want to live permanently within.

Day 1
We arrived to Madrid a little jet lagged but after an hour nap we were ready to hit the town. Our first day we explored the city by foot and subway. We headed to the Plaza Mayor, an interesting square with lots of people watching and over-priced restaurants. This was our first experience ordering unknown food in a language we barely understand. We chose a potato pie (we thought it was a quiche) and a side of bruschetta. Bread, its whats for dinner.. After our carb-overload we walked the streets and peeked into little shops and tapas bars.

Much later that day (they don't eat until 10 or 11 in Spain) we headed out in search of a lively tapas bar. We didn't find one 😞 We were too exhausted from our numerous flights, so we settled for the first tapas place we could find.

Day 2
We woke early, ready to explore..
We purchased tickets for the open top bus tour and off we went. First stop: Bernabeu stadium for an unguided tour. James was in heaven! We got video of James running from the dugout to the pitch and then moments later nearly got kicked out when I posed on the "players toilets". I guess your not supposed to cross into the fenced off areas?

We had lunch at a cafe near the Bernabeu. It was amazing. We ate these sandwiches (we can't remember what there called); they were huge and delicious and we're pretty sure that you were only supposed to order 1 per person but we managed to finish 3 a piece!

After lunch we jumped back on the bus and toured the rest of the city, with a few random detours to check out the shops. That night we headed out in our search for a lively and authentic tapas restaurant. We found a small, dark, and busy tapas restaurant.. and it was amazing. We never managed to get that whole order one or two tapas and then head to the next tapas bar thing down. Instead we ordered way too much. After dinner we stumbled upon a interesting and hip bar. After 2
Plaza MayorPlaza MayorPlaza Mayor

The Plaza Mayor is the famous square in Madrid. It was a very nice area with lots of restaurants around the outside.
mojitos we tried to walk home. We couldn't find it, but we did find a really interesting place we called hooker square...

We made it home that night with time for a 3 hour nap before waking up to catch our early morning flight to Italy. Those 3 hours came and went much too quickly! The chirp, chirp from our alarm never roused us from our food and drink comatose sleep. When we woke up and discovered that we had missed our flight we quickly packed our things and groggily headed to the airport. Not having any luck that day we learned that the next flight wasn't until late that evening. Instead of sleeping in the airport we dragged our things back out into the world of subway transfer to subway transfer to plodding through town. Oh, when will we ever learn to travel lighter...

Later that night we boarded our next flight.. Italy here we come!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Feed Me!Feed Me!
Feed Me!

Rebecca enjoying an afternoon cervaza!
WooHoo - Stadium TourWooHoo - Stadium Tour
WooHoo - Stadium Tour

I didn't really want to go but Rebecca insisted on going to visit the Santiago Bernabeu - Home of Real Madrid Football (Soccer for our American readers) Club
Team PictureTeam Picture
Team Picture

Rebecca joined the Mustache 11 for a team picture, this team was selected based on the quality of their mustache
Trophy RoomTrophy Room
Trophy Room

I tried to get my hands on a pices of silverware for the Everton Trophy room, it's a bit bare these days!
Christiano RonaldoChristiano Ronaldo
Christiano Ronaldo

Christiano Ronaldo's golden boot
Team PicTeam Pic
Team Pic

No Mustaches in this team!
Coaching StaffCoaching Staff
Coaching Staff

Real Madrid announced their new coaching staff!!!
Lunch TimeLunch Time
Lunch Time

After the stadium tour we stopped for some lunch at a local cafe.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb