Madrid with sue g helen and julia.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow a trip to Madrid. Alan and I and Rod and Elma went a few years ago and had agreat time so I knew we would enjoy it. Last year we all went to Barcelona and we loved the contrast of sea and city, so how would we all get on, us beach hut girls without being able to see the sea???
Madrid is a vibrant city. We arrived about 6 pm, just in time to settle into our large apartment, a bedroom each so great, also right next to the Palace and near plaza de mayor. We shot off to plaza de mayor and various other tapas areas to eat loads of tapas, drink many bottles of wine. It was beautifully lit at night,but quite chilly. If they make me speak spanish to any more taxi drivers, then laugh like drains when Iget it wrong I will never go away with them again!
We spent the next few days going to the art gallerys, reina soifa, prada etc. We had to see Guernica of course and also the salvodar dalis, I went to the museum at figueras , what a place that is! The bus trip around Madrid is a good place to start and get an overview of the city. What a team we are, helen wioth her scientific background, so good at maps, Sue brilliant at choosing hot chocolaterias and Julia getting us to eat regularly. We went to parque retiro, the botanical park and the big park with the fountains and crystal palace. Julia was our chief beauty aide, doing all our hair each night, I like having straight hair for a change. We sat around in the sun and read our books, we went to the square with all the local food outlets, and also lots of walking. Best of all we found the hamman baths near Plaza mayor. We went at 10 pm at night. The main sound was young couples kisssing and smooching, and the odd gay couple, in the darkness and candlelight our giggles were a bit stifled. The pools were so relaxing, a hot one, a tepid one and an icy cool one as well a a great big steam room. We loved it. Afterwards in the bar of the hotel overlooking the palace the brandies went down very well. But in no time it was back on that plane, back to reality. Thanks girls, it was great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb