Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 6th 2011
Published: May 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were brave and drove to barcelona. It took 2 and half hours driving along the toll road and we arrived right in the heart of the city. There was plenty of parking underground. They seem to be geared up for cars. Everyone drives very fast and there are a huge number of them. Also motorbikes everywhere. Half the pavement is dedicated to parking motorbikes. They are also into cycling with cycle lanes all through the central city. We saw a class trip down by the waterfront. The teacher was in front on his bike with a large flag and the rest of the class trailed behind him. No hats no large groups of parents. It looked like there may have been a parent trailing up the rear. I guess you just hope that all 30 children on their assortment of old bikes made it to their destination. The streets are very wide which is just as well as they were just so crowded. Most of the people in the centre of barcelona appeared to be like us – visitors. There were a large number of bus tours and school groups.
Barcelona is a city full of surprises. There was something different around every corner. The buildings, the latin quarter, La Ribera or the medivial streets, the catheral and the gothic quarters. The shops were just lovely and everything was a lot cheaper than in France. We came upon the most amazing produce market. Everything was beautifully presented and very cheap. A kilo of strawberries was $4.50NZ! The same with cherries. Meat was also a lot cheaper than at home. It was difficult to choose what to have for lunch.
The architecture of the building varies from a strong french influence to Northern African - Moor influence,throw in some spanish and just some really weird buildings. The most famous of all is Gaudi's ''Sagrada Familia.' It it quite the most amazing building from the outside. Its actually intensely ugly from the outside. The first stone was laid in 1882 and they are still building it. They say they are over the half way stage. It is truly magnificent on the inside. Neo gothic I think is the architectural term for it. When it is finished it will hold up to 800 people seat a choir of 1000 and have 4 pipe organs – 2 of which have already been stalled.
The people in Barcelona were very friendly and most spoke really good english which was just as well as we only knew 'Alloa' . When they found out we were from New Zealand they all new about “The Flight of the Concords” they appear to be more famous than the All Blacks. Almost everyone over the age of about 4 was wearing a Barcelona soccer shirt and were all hoping to be playing in England soon -whatever that meant! Like the french they are heavy smokers and the place is quite littered with cigarette butts. Thats the only problem when you sit outside is that everyone around you is smoking. It was a great place and we would love to go back and spend more time there one day. It was a fast trip back along the toll road to France.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb