We're in Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
November 2nd 2003
Published: May 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona is Spain's second city and the capital of the proud and distinct region of Catalunya.

The Ramblas is two different streets by day and by night. We stroll it from top to bottom, there is plenty of street entertainment going on all day & night.

We took the cable car up to Montjuic (mon-joo-EEK) for a commanding view of Barcelona and its harbour. We spent 5 days in Barcelona and saw and toured plenty including: Picasso Museum, Sagrada Familia Cathedral, Parc Guell, Cable Car to Montjuic, Las Ramblas, Barcelona Cathedral and the Barri Gotic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Barcelona HarbourBarcelona Harbour
Barcelona Harbour

View from atop Montjuic (mon-joo-EEK) the hill at the southwest end of the city, is one of the oldest sections of Barcelona; throughout Barcelona's history, whoever controlled Montjuic's peak controlled the city.
Up, up and away!Up, up and away!
Up, up and away!

Barcelona cable car to Montjuic, with view of the sprawling city below.
Barcelona SprawlBarcelona Sprawl
Barcelona Sprawl

View from Cable Car.
Castell de MontjuicCastell de Montjuic
Castell de Montjuic

Built atop the ancient Jewish cemetery (hence the name "Montjuic"), which means "Mount of the Jews". In the 20th century, Franco made the Castell de Montjuic one of his "interrogation" headquarters; somewhere deep in the recesses of the structure, his beneméritos ("honorable ones," a.k.a. the militia) are believed to have shot Catalunya's former president, Lluís Companys, in 1941.
Antoni Gaudi 1852-1926Antoni Gaudi 1852-1926
Antoni Gaudi 1852-1926

Catalan architect whose distinctive style is characterized by freedom of form, volumptuous color and texture, and organic unity. Gaudi worked almost entirely in or near Barcelona. Much of his career was occupied with the construction of the Expiatory Temple of the Holy Family (Sagrada Familia), which was unfinished at his death in 1926.
Familia Sagrada CathedralFamilia Sagrada Cathedral
Familia Sagrada Cathedral

After more than 75 years of construction the work goes on, funded entirely on donations from the public. Construction may very well continue for the next 50 years.
Stained GlassStained Glass
Stained Glass

...at Sagrada Familia, Barcelona's work in progress Cathedral.
MaremagnumMaremagnum
Maremagnum

Shopping and Tapas Bar in Barcelona Harbour.
Ciutat Vella AlleywayCiutat Vella Alleyway
Ciutat Vella Alleyway

Ciutat Vella means "old city" in Catalan. The term refers to the oldest neighborhoods in the city of Barcelona. Ciutat Vella is nestled between the Mediterranean Sea and the neighborhood called l'Eixample.
GypsieGypsie
Gypsie

Street fun in Barcelona's Las Ramblas.
Paella HeadPaella Head
Paella Head

Menu del Dia, Paella Con Cabeza - Some strange stuff on Avenida Las Ramblas.
Columbus Points East...Columbus Points East...
Columbus Points East...

In Barcelona Harbour
Parc Guell LizardParc Guell Lizard
Parc Guell Lizard

...and Holly
Parc GuellParc Guell
Parc Guell

Broken tile art everywhere.


16th September 2005

skeleton man
I am trying to contat the man with a dancing skeleton, he may be entertaining on the Ramblas Barcelona. please help. thank you.

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb