Majestic Montserrat


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are very lucky to have so many friends in so many different places. Michelle lives just outside Barcelona and she suggested we go up to the mountains of Montserrat for the day. What an excellent suggestion! We took the train out to Martorell where Michelle met us and drove the rest of the way. It's quite a breathtaking and windy road to the top where parking was at a premium because of the sheer quantity of tourists. It's a long time since we have seen so many tour buses!

To escape the hoards, we took the funicular train to the top and had a good wander around. Leaving the crowds behind felt so good and the views were amazing. We clambered up and down steep steps before meandering back down to the central area where the monastery (and the crowds) awaited.

Montserrat was a place of religious contemplation and the Benedictine abbey/monastery/cathedral is well worth looking around. We even queued to see the famous Black Madonna. Russ was seeking a blessing for his Brighton shirt in the hope of securing promotion to the Premier League next season. Well, it can't do any harm to try!!!!

Exhausted from our efforts, we had a nice lunch in the restaurant followed by some wonderful ice-cream. A great day out and highly recommended.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

JCJC
JC

No comments about Han Solo please!


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb