Monserrat


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
June 10th 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

La Seu - Colbato


Can't believe this is our last day in Spain, even two weeks is not enough...guess we'll have to get Lynn to write another book needing research of more areas of Spain.

The parador ended up being more reasonable than I expected...the included breakfast was fantastic. That should hold us over for the whole day.

Just simply driving is enjoyable. Villages on many hilltops. Almost got stopped by police again for crossing a solid white line. I quickly pulled out the camera and took pictures of them, so that they would see it was another tourist. I couldn't resist the pictures of the villages and castles on the mountain and hill tops. We drove up to what looked like a castle and found it was a parador in Cardona. I was feeling like I made a mistake and should have stayed here...it was amazing. But then again, you were totally isolated from the village below, so mybe it wasn't such a good idea, but this was a beautiful place to stay.

Now it was on to Montserrat. It was a crazy drive to the top of the mountain. I was not prepared for the people when we got to the top...bus load after bus load. Man, am I glad I ended up not staying at the hotel on site. i ended up getting one closer to the expressway, as i'm concerned about the drive to the airport in the morning.

in any event, we got parked and found out that the Boys Choir would be performing in about 15 minutes. We literally ran the entire way and just barely got into the church as they began to sing. I was able to get a video of the performance which seemed to only last about 10 minutes. Glad we didn't get there earlier and sat way at the front. The weird rock formations are really quite impressive and can see why it is such an attraction.

We then drove to Collbato which is literally around to the other side of Montserrat. Our hotel was quite nice and with an outdoor and indoor restaurant attached. We walked the entire town, down the hillside to the small local church and playground then up the mountain to the Salnitre Caves. Of course, they were closed, but it was a great hike. Signs indicated the trail continued beyond the caves (without the handrails) around the mountain to where we had been earlier at Monestir de Montserrat...now that would be a hike.

Perfect...Collbato has an entrance to the expressway.

We got to bed in good time. I'm a little unnerved by our car being locked inside the fence for security. No one speaks English and we want to get the car out at 6...gates typically open at 7:00. Just hope our communication was sufficient.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb