La Alma de Catalunya


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Monistrol de Montserrat
July 21st 2007
Published: September 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Too exhausted to write. Let the pictures speak for themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Raval DistrictRaval District
Raval District

So this was another morning where I was awake way too early and where everyone I crossed in the streets was up way too late and drunk out their minds. I had to catch a bus in El Raval, which is pretty slummy and smelly. Still, I managed to find a little love.
MontserratMontserrat
Montserrat

The day's destination.
CavaCava
Cava

The bus took us to Freixenet first, where they make Spain's finest cava (champagne). Would have maybe been better to do this after the hike to Montserrat, but cava is cava.
In Front of The MonasteryIn Front of The Monastery
In Front of The Monastery

Montserrat is "la alma de catalunya" or "the soul of Cataluna". The rocks were formed from giant rivers which made these very wavy formations. It's soft rock, easily degradable, but they have nonetheless managed to build a complex of religious structures within and amongst the mountain. There are several churches, a bona fide miracle known as "The Black Madonna", three restaurants, an art museum, a boy's choir, a lift, and a gift shop.
St. James WaySt. James Way
St. James Way

These yellow markers show the spiritual pilgrimage path of St. James Way (Camino de Santiago). It's a five week trek that takes you across northern Spain- the best way, they tell me, to see the country.
We Made It!We Made It!
We Made It!

This church was built in the late 1800s around the cave where the Black Madonna was discovered.
People Taking Pictures of The Black MadonnaPeople Taking Pictures of The Black Madonna
People Taking Pictures of The Black Madonna

After walking all that way, you have to take a picture of something.
OfferingsOfferings
Offerings

These are the gifts people have brought to the madonna in thanks to her for answering their prayers.
Brave SoulsBrave Souls
Brave Souls

Out of some 40 odd people that came to the mountain that day, we were the only five who actually made the long hike to see the madonna. Aaron (in the middle) was the leader, joined by Shanna from New York, Daniel from Cali, and Marisole from Montreal. And, ahem, myself.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb