Day 200


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
February 7th 2011
Published: February 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today is a milestone…it is day 200 since we left Colorado Springs. It seems like a good opportunity to reflect on what this trip has given us as we have many things for which we are grateful. First, there have been very few negative things that have happened. Neither of us has been seriously ill, we have not lost anything of value and we made it safely out of the Middle East.

Second, there are many, many positive things as this trip has allowed us to explore the world’s diversity of people, places and food.

Meeting people from other countries has given us a perspective on both the similarities and differences in our lives. Spending the afternoon with spry, old Baobao in China who gave us a tour of his ancient town and then invited us in to his humble home for lunch was a highlight of our trip. And the recent unrest in Egypt is more personal because we can see how it impacts the life and livelihood of our tour guide, a very affable and friendly young man who may not be giving tours anytime soon.

As far as places, we stood in awe of the
Medicine ManMedicine ManMedicine Man

In a township near Cape Town, South Africa
Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal in India and the Pyramids in Egypt and marveled at the natural beauty of Tiger Leaping Gorge in China, Halong Bay in Vietnam and Bulungula in South Africa.

And the food…from the heat of Szechuan cooking in China to shawarmas in Egypt to the fine wine in France, we have enjoyed exploring the diversity of food and drink.

We do, however, miss home. We miss our family and friends. We miss sleeping in our own bed and we miss cooking our own meals. But these things are small compared to the adventures we are having. We had our senses overwhelmed with horn blaring in the exhaust-filled streets of India, and we rejoiced in serenity standing atop a mountain in a tiny village in Laos, as countless stars filled the clear night sky (there really is such a thing as star shine).

We are blessed and we appreciate it. We hope you have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, our blogs. We will be publishing our blog on Jordan soon (you’ll want to read about Petra). After that they might be a bit sparse for a month or so because we will be doing some volunteer work that, although we hope it will be fun, will likely make uninteresting reading. Thank you for your interest in our trip and a special thanks to those who leave comments on the blog; we love to hear what you think.


Advertisement



7th February 2011

Enjoyed reading
Dear Beth and John, We have really enjoyed your blogs and sharing your adventures vicariously. Love, Betty
7th February 2011

Your Blog
Thank you for keeping us updated with your travels, and finding the time & effort to write your blog. I know that sometimes it can be a real effort writing a blog, but it's so worth it once you read it again months or years later. When you get back to 'normal' life here, your blog will really bring back all those wonderful memories that will stay with you forever! Keep up with all your interesting blogs........we look forward to reading the next one!!!
23rd February 2011

Hello From The Fasts
John and Beth - Jonathan and I (Karen) started reading your blogs quite a while after you started writing them ...... mid December. It has become the highlight of our morning breakfasts before school. Because we were so far behind we've been reading them multiple times per week. We've really enjoyed traveling through your blogs and especially enjoyed the pictures. Jonathan and I are both foodies and can't wait to hear more about the various food adventures you experience. We look forward to your future blogs - happy and safe travels.
24th February 2011

Everytime when i feel exhausted i read your blog. It gives me hope and patience to continue my life. The huge city has been pushing me down by its chaos. I think i would volunteer for my whole life, for those who are really in need. I'll be away from school after this semester to go to yunnan for my rice terrace research. Yes, totally into the wild. The wildness is in my blood. Thanks for sharing your life, again. a.j.
25th February 2011

Great Blog
Beth and John - looks like you guys are holding up well and having a great time. Beth you may be missing home, but you're not missing anything at work. We are starting source selection in a week. Hope the rest of your trip goes as well as the first 200 days. John W.
18th March 2011

An adventure of a lifetime!
Dear Beth & John - WOW! Just 200 days ago John was standing in the lobby of Verizon waiting to give me the VIBeS mail. He would never give it to me unless I bribed him with a Dove chocolate. I haven't picked the mail up since. HA! What an adventure you have had! Most recently I loved reading about your Wine Extravaganza in Spain. So many people dream of such an adventure, but very few would plan it and actually pursue it. I'm so glad you have had the opportunity! I haven't read as much as I would like to, but you have done SO many things & been SO many places - I love hearing about it! VIBeS is renting a log cabin this weekend outside of Breckenridge. I'm wondering if it has running water, as it was only $300 per night. We shall see...........I am taking Elsa up to ski with BOEC tomorrow and Diane will bring her home tomorrow evening. Diane and I will snow-shoe tomorrow. I'm not sure how many are viewing your blog, but I will remind folks to live their dreams vicariously through you & your adventure blog. Thanks for keeping it! Everyone misses you & looks forward to your return. Will you be home in May for the Spring party? ...................Lorie
8th April 2011

Great trip
OMG, sound like you had wonderful time. I really want to join in such a trip. How is Halong bay? I intend to visit it this summer coz' it's said to be the most beautiful in the sunshine of summer. haha. I don't know whether it's true or not. Did you stay on junk when you were there? My friend suggests me to bookBhaya cruise coz' it has good reputation. I'm so excited for the trip.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb