Cheers for Water


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands
July 2nd 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

scaffolding gangway scaffolding gangway scaffolding gangway

This is from deck 3. The other is one is from deck 4.
Ship life in dry dock is rather challenging. But on the bright side, the fruits and vegetables on the island are great. The weather outside is spring like. Grand Canaria is beautiful with many old buildings, cobblestone streets, archeological digs, botanical gardens, cute cafes and many beaches. It is a pedestrian friendl, with helpful bus drivers. The view of the ship yard from the upper decks and dining room is always interesting. I like looking at the progress that is being made not just on Africa Mercy but on the other ships as well. I have learned how to make leche con leche a popular coffee drink here.

For friends and family who are wondering why I am not posting, it is because it is hot up here in the computer center. I am trying to get used to being sweaty most of the time. There is no air conditioning. The coolest place is on deck 5 in mid-ship. There is major work on the plumbing so water is often off – sometimes overnight. This means a walk down the scaffolding stairs, across the road and into a port building to go to the bathroom. The windowless cabins have on
Mercy Ship propellar Mercy Ship propellar Mercy Ship propellar

Getting cleaned up
and off ventilation. When the water is running, I take a cold shower (the only kind we have) before going to sleep. And the water is brown. The laundry is closed for water reasons part of the time. Most of the ship is on half power - meaning that some lights, ice machine and the like are not all on. The Crew galley is closed for personal use and the TV for watching movies has been stored so the room can be painted.

The dining room and galley staff have done a great job at feeding those of us who eat on ship. I spent the morning wiping down the Galley from end to end. It was fumigated last night. It went well. There were about 20 of us working. Tomorrow I will do the monthly inventory with Abraham. We go down to the store rooms on deck two and count the supplies for the ship shop and Café. Normally, it would not be too bad. But now everything is secured and packed in boxes which are placed on the two lowest shelves and floor.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb