AfricaMercyVolunteer-Ship Work Continues in Tenerife


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
July 22nd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The ship made it to Tenerife without too much bobbing around. It was much better than the trip to Las Palmas. Now more of the work is taking place inside the ship. So that is why we were able to leave dry dock in Las Palmas. They are now working on the galley, the AC, and other internal parts, etc… The families are back on board. It is nice having the kids on the ship again. Children were not allowed on during dry dock. The families stayed in a hotel.

We have one more person on our team in the dining hall. She starts tomorrow. And Kevin, our team leader, is leaving on Thursday for two weeks. We can use real dishes again so that means a lot of washing. With only three on the team, our work time will be longer. New juice machines and a cold water dispenser were installed this week. I think our cooler will be fixed soon too.

I was off today. I went to the Sunday flea market. It takes place around the enclosed African Market. Several blocks were closed to traffic. It was fun. They sold many things: clothes, music, books, tools, jewelry, toilets, etc. The African Market is made up of venders who sell a particular kind of food: fruit, meat, bread, ice cream, tea, and so forth. It is a new colonial style building with benches and a play area. It is not especially African products.

The walk to town is only about 40 minutes. It has been especially warmer than usual here according to one of the locals. It has been about 35 degrees for a while and there is hardly any breeze. Usually, the weather is describes as spring-like. It is better than snow and cooler than Togo. I can’t complain.

Advertisement



23rd July 2012

enjoying your blog
Hey Dena, Been enjoying reading your blog while on sabbatical after seeing about it in the bulletin. Your descriptions of things are really good. I was interested in your time in Togo as I have a childhood friend who teaches/directs? a blind school for a mission there I believe in Lome. Canary Islands sound like an interesting place to visit. Praying for you & appreciate the work you are doing for the Lord P Joel

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb