Mount Teide


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
April 23rd 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

So first things first!



Happy St Georges Day…



So its 4:15 in the afternoon, its my 27th Birthday and it has to be the hottest day we have had so far, so I am quite happy that we have had another day of chilling out in our room, lazing in the sun listening to music, and reading books etc.… It has just this moment become to hot for me, (wuss) so I have retreated inside to update the travel blog for Saturday & Sunday…



Saturday was, like today, a day where Maddy and myself just chilled out and didn’t do a great deal, which has been nice, punctuating the days out with a few days of lazing around…



Sunday morning we walked down to the Los Cristianos Sunday market, where pretty much, every stall is trying to sell you knock off, sunglasses, watches t-shirts etc.…. Which reminded me of Last Wednesday, when we were perusing the shops, some bloke offered me a “deal I couldn’t afford to walk away from” he offered me a Canon 5D Mk iii for £500 plus my own Canon camera (the 500D), needless to say, I may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but I knew the guy was trying to scam me…



Any way back to the Market… We got a few bits and pieces, a few presents etc.… Maddy blew €20 on some nail art thingy... it was well worth it though…. Apparently.



We walked most the way back to the hotel, via a walk along the beach of Los Cristianos and La Vista, and then decided to take a taxi the rest of the way… We had lunch then made our way to reception to get the coach and meet Leon, who would be our guide for “Tiede by Night”



Our coach slowly climbed the mountain roads, we made a brief stop off at a café, which had a 360degree view point, where we were able to get a quick bite to eat and a drink, before heading off again, we entered the clouds, which made the landscape look a little like home, only with out the rain, we stopped off at a hotel, where we had a nice 3 course dinner, we also were told that the Ford motor company use this hotel as a base for testing their new cars, and in the car park there were a number of Fords, with English plates with the Ford Badges covered and the name/models badges missing, and water tanks/bottles in the back seat, these are filled to emulate back seat passengers while the cars are tested for handling on Tenerife’s roads. The colonial looking hotel, is in the highest village in the Atlantic, and also boasted some spectacular views.



After dinner it was onward and upward, we came out of the clouds into bright sunshine, and under the sun a solid looking floor of white clouds, we stopped off to get a few snaps of the Peak of mount Tiede, then we moved on, to watch the sunset into the clouds, this was amazing to watch and I think I managed to get a few good pictures for the album… One the sun went down, we were able to see, almost immediately Venus, then faintly at first, a crescent moon and next to it Jupiter, and right above us Mars. After some nibbles and some Champagne, we headed to the highest toilet in the Atlantic, which was joined to a hotel owned b the Spanish government, for a cup of Coffee. We headed back out into the night for some star gazing, due to the fact that the Spanish government have spent on the space telescope on Tenerife, mount Tiede and indeed Tenerife, has been declared a spot of astrological interest and as a result there is no air traffic aloud over the island, if you have ever flown to Tenerife you fly around the island before landing at the airport….



Basically, there is no light pollution, so all the stars were visible, the Moon and Jupiter, had now dropped below the horizon line so we could no longer see that, but Venus, Mars and also Saturn were visible, we also saw a lot of the constellations, Orion, Gemini, The Plough, The Little Plough, Polaris (the north star), the Winter Triangle, the Spring triangle, Leo, Taurus and a few more we also saw two satellites go over as well, it was too dark for me to get any photo’s but it was amazing…



We got back in the coach and made our way back to the hotel, and at about 1am his morning, we go into bed. Also on a good note the family in the room next to us A211, seem to have left now, so the baby in the air con unit is also gone!!! YAY!!!



The next update will probably be, Wednesday, as today has been a quiet one, but tomorrow we will be visiting Siam Parque, which is Tenerife’s water park… Speak soon


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

I Love YouI Love You
I Love You

That's what it says


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb