Aaron and Mikaela in Seville – One Night Only!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Oro towerOro towerOro tower

Reminded us of the "White Tower" in Thessaloniki
So we only spent one night in Seville, why? Because we accidently booked our flight to Valencia a day early!



So we arrived at 6am after a long bus trip in which both of us hardly slept, walked to our hostel in the dark with minimal arguments or troubles (well in my opinion) edit..we argued over the directions, however I was right!. As we only had one day our plan was to get two hours sleep and take the walking tour at 10am after breakfast. Two interesting things happened after this. Firstly the 14 bed room we had booked was completely empty, this was completely awesome as it was basically like staying in a huge private room with two showers and toilets to ourselves! If there is such thing as hostel haven this was it! Secondly we overslept as Mikaela was still on Lisbon time and had set the alarm an hour late....we were frustrated at this as we were quickly running out of time. We were lucky enough that our hostel had a travel desk and a lady who mapped out a walking tour of Seville for us, she was extremely helpful and all of the sites were within walking distance of each other.



Although we were extremely tired and low on time I think we had one of the most successful days of travel this year. Firstly we walked to the Saint Mary cathedral which is both the largest gothic and third largest church in the world and was pretty impressive as far as churches go. We then moved onto the first highlight of the day, the Alcazar of Seville. It was the royal palace for a long period in Seville, and had large gardens with mazes, beautiful architecture and Moorish art. We spent two hours wondering the rooms and gardens but could have easily spent longer but we needed to move on as time was escaping us.



We then walked down the Oro tower, San Telmo bridge and through the Maria Luisa park up to the plaza Espana. They were all very impressive and we have included some photos. After that we walked around the Jewish quarter which had different architecture and lots of winding streets, it felt very cosy and we got a few good photos and some delicious ice cream. It is also important to mention that
Metrosol ParasolMetrosol ParasolMetrosol Parasol

The largest wooden structure in the world
I had to hold Mikaela back from stealing the cute little Spanish children and taking them home to Australia. edit..I have decided I might need to marry a Spanish man to ensure my children turn out as cute...sorry Aaron



After a restraining order we made our way to the Metrosol Parasol which is the largest wooden structure in the world, again it was quite impressive. We were going to catch the lift to the top and get some photos but our legs and stomaches were giving in by this point and we made our way back to the hostel stopping on the way to eat a slice of pizza which was topped with a kilo of cheese.



After some food it was already 9pm (the sun was still up!!) and time to walk to the Flamengo show with about 20 others from our hostel. This famous dance originated in Seville and should be on your to do list when visiting the city. We were lucky as there was a professional show on the night we were there. It was held in a small bar with about 30 people in the crowd so it was
Flamenco DancingFlamenco DancingFlamenco Dancing

The couple were intense!
quite intimate and they were very close. The music, song and dancers were all amazing. It was something I hadn’t really seen before even on TV, it was great to see the skill and fitness levels it takes to be a flamenco dancer. This really topped off our day in Seville.



By the end of the night we were completely exhausted we stumbled home and fell asleep. Our next stop is Valencia where we will spend four days allowing us more time to explore the city and hopefully some time on the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Plaza EspanaPlaza Espana
Plaza Espana

Mikaela was getting covered in water every time the wind changed in her direction, but as it was so hot she didn't mind.
Plaza EspanaPlaza Espana
Plaza Espana

Cold drink yay!
Fish FeedingFish Feeding
Fish Feeding

Alcazar of Seville
MikaelaMikaela
Mikaela

Jewish Quater
The GroupThe Group
The Group

Flamenco Dancing
Alcazar of SevilleAlcazar of Seville
Alcazar of Seville

Royal Palace


2nd June 2012

seville
I want to go to Seville. The architecture looks amazing! You guys must be enjoying a bit of sunshine/heat :)
2nd June 2012

Yo
Hey, yeah it was amazing...its great to finally have constant sun...I think I am finally getting my tan back after all of these years!

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb