Half Empty or Half Full?


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga
December 31st 2010
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Malaga's Cathedral 32 secs
2: Ruins, Castles and Rain 39 secs
Malaga was a cold, harsh, and damp mistress. We arrived to chilly, wet weather and decided on the hop-on hop-off bus which goes to all the major highlights. Unfortunately when the weather is not cooperating this really is not the best way to see the city. Open-air double-deckers offer the best views when you ride on the top floor. We did have some moments of sun, and when we popped our heads out the city was beautiful. The bus took us through the core city which is an interesting mixture of historic Arab and Spanish architecture as well as modern buildings.

There is quite a bit to see in the city. Pablo Picasso was born here. There is an active bullfighting ring. The cliffs overlooking the city are home to remains of an Arab fortress, and in the last 60 years they've discovered and exposed the buried ruins of a Roman amphitheatre. The city is filled with a maze of cobblestone streets, and endless shopping (unless it's siesta time).

After the bus we decided on a walking tour. We lucked out during the 90 minute walk, as we had a break in the clouds. Louis was our walking guide
Malaga all dressed up for ChristmasMalaga all dressed up for ChristmasMalaga all dressed up for Christmas

Some of the prettiest city decorations we've seen on this trip
and he took us through the centre of town, explained important statues, churches, history, and food. On the walking tour we made friends with people from Halifax, England (cool!) and Madrid. The walking tour was definitely a highlight. The tour finished at a tapas bar where we enjoyed Malaga wine (YUM!). Our walking tour took us past the house where Picasso was born and the park that he played in as a child. We also saw the “one armed lady” church. This is a giant church in the middle of the city. The second tower on the church was never finished as it's said the funds required to finish the project were used to support the American revolution (yeah, we don't know why either?).

Although all this sounds great, we had about 11 hours in port, and much of that time was spent in soaking wet feet, waiting for buses that never arrived, and going to places that were closed due to siesta (or just cause Malaga hates us... i.e. Bull-fighting ring, Bull-fighting ring museum, castle, etc...). We did finish out the day walking through an amazing tropical garden in the middle of the city. We're still deciding if we considered our visit a success or a failure, but we can't deny that the city has a lot to offer for anyone visiting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

AlcazabaAlcazaba
Alcazaba

Fortress built between the 8th and 11th centuries
Roman Amphitheatre RuinsRoman Amphitheatre Ruins
Roman Amphitheatre Ruins

Found 50-60 years ago at the base of the fortress. Appears the fortress (Alcazaba built between the 8th and 11th centuries) was built over top of a roman city
Dove/Hand StatueDove/Hand Statue
Dove/Hand Statue

Lots of bronze statues like this one all over the city
Orange trees all over the cityOrange trees all over the city
Orange trees all over the city

Our walking tour guide says they are not good for eating.


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb