Background: Spain's powerful world empire of the 16th and 17th centuries ultimately yielded command of the seas to England. Subsequent failure to embrace the mercantile and industrial revolutions caused the country to fall behind Britain, France, and Germany in economic and political power. Spain remained neutral in World Wars I and II, but suffered through a devastating civil war (1936-39). In the second half of the 20th century, Spain has played a catch-up role in the western international community; it joined the EU in 1986. Continuing challenges include Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA) terrorism and further reductions in unemployment.
Photos from Chipiona
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Chipiona
Latest Blogs from Chipiona
- July 5th 2013 Two weeks of relaxing
by Words: 288 Photos: 4
- June 20th 2013 First Week In Chipiona
by Words: 403 Photos: 3
- June 14th 2013 Finally, Chipiona!
by Words: 782 Photos: 0
- June 28th 2011 Day 20 - Barcelona to Chipiona
by Words: 784 Photos: 0
- March 2nd 2009 Carnaval!
by Words: 767 Photos: 25
- May 26th 2008 Chipiona - The Bullfight
by Words: 424 Photos: 15
- May 24th 2008 Spain... finally?
by Words: 352 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2006 Chipiona Arrival
by Words: 169 Photos: 0