Cadiz


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
July 4th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Cadiz on June 16 and have signed up for 5 weeks of Spanish lessons at a local school called Melkart. I have chosen to stay with a Spanish family to improve my conversation skills. Have to admit its been pretty tough so far trying to understand wht the family is saying and this has led to some very interesting conversations during meal times with me nodding my head a lot! The locals, the (Gadatanos) have a very strong accent and dont pronounce the 's'. For example the women who owns the house said to me during lunch 'Hay mapa', 'hay mapa'. You would think this means there is a map right? No it means more bread !(mas pan).

Despite its unique site — on a narrow slice of land surrounded by the sea — Cadiz is, in most respects, a typically Andaluisian city with a wealth of attractive vistas and well-preserved historical landmarks. The older part of Cadiz, within the remnants of the city is commonly referred to as the Old Town (in Spanish, Casco Antiguo). It is characterized by the antiquity of its various quarters (barrios), among them El Pópulo, La Viña, and Santa María, which present a marked contrast to the newer areas of town. While the Old City's street plan consists of narrow winding alleys connecting large plazas, newer areas of Cadiz typically have wide avenues and more modern buildings. In addition, the city is dotted by numerous parks where exotic plants flourish, including giant trees supposedly brought to Spain byColumbus from the New World.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb