Slovenia D7


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
September 16th 2013
Published: September 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday Day 7 Idrsko to Kobarid

What a killer!It did not rain today and after lunch the sun came out and we saw 23 degrees. That was the good bit. No to be fair it was a great day for most of us but very hard indeed covering 57 miles of very variable terrain. We had a nice steady run to Cepovan through some very quaint villages which looked like they were stuck in a time warp with grass being sit with old cutter bar mowers and being raked up and forked by hand. At Cepovan we turned up into the hills only to be met by a dirt road at 7% rising up for 8 miles with only 50m of tarred section. On the way up, just before everyone died of exhaustion, we ate our sandwiches bought at a supermarket in Tolmin. When at the summit we thought that we would find Tarmac all the way down only to find at least 2 miles of dirt descent which was not to everyone's liking. Geoff, who is a mountain biker, and myself thought it was a challenge and actually passed a car who was getting underfoot. Once onto really smooth Tarmac we were away and swooped down into Adjovscina. Finding a bar we all stopped for coffee and cake in the sun, not really wanting to set off again. We mistakenly thought we were on a home run but it turned out we had two more 300m hills to climb, which were a real sting in the tail. Our destination of Hrushevica was a one horse village, if ever I saw one, and looked like it had been forgotten by the world. There was a garage full of old scrap cars and rubbish everywhere. The Pension Gryca was little better and I will give it a wide birth if I ever do this Tour again. The rooms are a bit spartan and two rooms to a bathroom, which is not a real problem but not very salubrious and nowhere near the quality of previous hotels. The evening meal was pretty good in a pleasant restaurant. A pity we are not staying in the main block instead of the annexe de peasant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb