Slovenia 3 - a day in Bled, an ice cream and a meal out


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
May 1st 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nearly a week of our travels have gone and Suzy finds herself at rest in Camping Bled for another day. We have a spacious site and the site is only partially filled but then it is still early in the season and the visitors few and far between. Some Brits turned up opposite us but as they are in convoy with another set of Brits we did nothing more than say hello to them all. Polish Bikers arrived on their growling sit up and beg bikes and set up their noisy camp further up from us. Birds sang and we were woken by the sound of woodpeckers in the trees and cuckoos calling out to each other. Mistletoe clung to the trees. Alongside the campsite was a dried up stream which in winter would have been a pretty site.

We had little light rain at 6 but by breakfast this had passed over and the weather looked set to be good. We went shopping first thing and stocked up the fridge which was beginning to look a tad empty. And then after breakfast we set off on the 35 minute walk to Bled town which we could see across the
Lake Bled Lake Bled Lake Bled

The island
lake.

The walk began alongside the lake on the main road before it descended onto a board walk. Families walked , cycled, roller skated and used whatever means they felt like to get to Bled. There were many stopping places along the way and we had read that it was possible to take at least 250 photographs around the walk as the view changed by the second. We took photos of the island from all four sides. Sometimes it looked as if it were joined to the land and wasnt an island at all. We clicked the Julian Alps from one angle and then from another . And took shots of Bled town in the distance and the castle high on a hill. Then the boardwalk ended and we had to walk alongside the road again. Wild flowers in thick abundance and in every shade you could imagine.

After 30 minutes we reached the spot where the boats take off for the island. We didnt fancy waiting for one so carried on along the footpath into town.

The town itself is not that inspiring. A few tourist tat shops on the outskirts and what looked like some high class fancy expensive hotels with lake views. Villas lined the streets with fantastic views of the lake. We sat for a while and at ice cream. The local cookie and cream cake flavour and hazlenut.

Walked to the church which was what should probably be described as the Austro/Hungarian look. Plain and austere outside painted stark white only broken up by a black plain clock. Inside Baroque which is not a style that inspires us at all. Although to be fair it was a plainer style of Baroque with fancy altar piece and pulpit and frescoes on the walls. The central chandelier was rather impressive.

Next we decided to tackle the climb to the castle high above us. It is reached by a 15 minute uphill hike. We walked up ramps and 222 steps before we reached the top puffed out. The climb was though made interesting by the selection of plants growing along the way. Some that I knew - and others I had never seen before . A lime greeen leafed thing with tiny yellow flower. Huge pink dead nettles and ferns of all description.

The entrance fee was 16 euros with no reduction disappointingly for pensioners. In fact the guy on the kiosk didnt even raise a smile when I asked for one. Inside was disappoining too. I have never been in an Austrian style castle that has been interesting and Bled Castle lived up to my expectations. The floors were modern parquet and the walls stark white. The rooms empty save for the large highly decorated ceramic room heaters.

There was a forge selling coins and iron goods and a tat shop. There were fantastic views of the surrounding area and the lake from the top. And then we had to climb down those 222 steps although we got down quicker than we climbed up.

Our walk back took us around the other side of the lake which gave us different views of the town and of the island. We took a lot of photos but a lot less than the 250 we thought we might take. Definately an over egged description there.

In the evening we walked down to the on site restaurant . We sampled the local soup Beef with noodles and a plate of Slovenian meats. When I say meat what I mean is ham and salami but with horse radish sauce, gherkins, chillis, tomatoes and different types of smoked cheeses. This made a meal in itself. Second course was Kmeki Narezek Bled with Pomfri and Piscancji file Jurki Dunajski Seinski with roasted polenta which roughly translate as Chicken in a mushroom sauce and Breaded Pork . Delicious and very fillling and relatively cheap even with a carafe of the local smooth red wine. We finished off with espressos and a free blueberry liquour which was amazing. The overall experience 10 out of 10.

And so to our last night here , Noisy italians shouting into the wee hours but we slept well and got ready for our move tomorrow to Ljubljana the capital of Slovenia. Our first city of the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

a pletna boat a pletna boat
a pletna boat

I am ready to go Woolly


Tot: 0.577s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 44; qc: 194; dbt: 0.3555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb