Day 2 - Marathon Tour


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
February 19th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

“Dober dan!” Hello! After having breakfast at Hotel Bled, we headed out for the day. The tour today includes a trip into the Kras Region, near the Italian border, a little east of the area where we toured yesterday. This region of Slovenia is the World’s original “karst” area and is where the term karrst topography originated. The area is riddled with limestone outcroppings and sinkholes and an extensive underground lake and cavern system.

The fist stop was in Lipica. Founded in 1580, this is the site of the original stud-farm for Lippazan stallions. A classical riding school was founded after WWII. Our tour of the Farm took us through the training area and stables. We saw where the mares are stabled, yearlings that still had their dark coats, and the older Stallions that were completely grey. Smokey made friends with the oldest of the Stallions. The Farms also keeps Shetland Ponies for children to ride - Smokey liked those guys, too. At the end of the grounds tour, we went through the Carriage Museum. Lorie made friends with one of the very affectionate stable kitties… belly rubs in the sunshine - what a life!

After touring the Lipizzan Farm, we drove into Dutovlje to tour the Boris Liska Winery. The winery was situated in a small village setting, amongst the rolling hills. The 3200 vines stretched out on all sides of the actual winery building. We toured the winery and saw the cellars that have been used by the family to produce wines for 3 generations. At the end of the tour, we tasted 4 fantastic wines: Vitovska Grganja 2006 - White; Kras Izbrani Teran 2006- Red; Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 - Red; and Sara (Merlot, Teran, Cabernet Sauvignon) 1998 - Red Blend. We are bringing back several bottles of the Liska Wine for sharing with friends at home - “Na Zdravje!” Cheers!

The most spectacular part of our trip - WOW! - was our trip through the Postonja Caves. The caves were discovered several hundred years ago and have been open to tourist trips for 109 years. We entered the caves through the “old” section and boarded an electric powered, open train. The rollercoaster like ride took us through stunning caverns. We stopped in a large hall and proceeded on foot along a steep, winding pathway. The 2 kilometer hike took us through more wonderful and spectacular caverns and across the Russian Bridge (constructed by WWI war prisoners). The caverns were formed by stalagmites, stalactites, sheet formations, “waterfalls”, and columns. The final section of the trip took us through the Beautiful Halls that included the Spaghetti room, the White room, and the Red room. The trip end in the Concert Hall, where the guide told us that Christmas musicals are performed. We also saw the Proteus - Human Fish. Tourism in Slovenia has an emphasis on “green” activities and the tour through the Caves is no exception - the train was electric and the lighting along the trail is motion activated. This tour was absolutely amazing!

After a long day of traveling, we only had time for a quick drive by and picture taking stop at Predjama Castle. The castle is built into the side of the hill and was home to Slovenia’s own “Robyn Hood.”

We arrived back at the hotel and ended our day with dinner at Ostarija Pegleze’n with Elton, Patsy, Louie, Patty, and Liz. Great gnocchi with proscutto and pasta with seafood (more squid!).

From Lorie: The cave was one of the most amazing places I have seen! I saw the beauty of God’s creation revealed even in the darkness below. Had some great Gnocci too!! People in Slovenia are very freindly and most speak English. I'll enjoy a relaxed day to wonder around Bled today (Wednesday).

From Kim: What a day! the caves were incredible and the wine was fantastic... We evan found it on the menu at eh restaurant where we had dinner. It was a tiring but really wonderful day...



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th February 2008

Smokey at the Vineyard
No pix of Smokey in the Vineyard? I figured he's be front and center for a tasting!
21st February 2008

Looks like fun!
I love looking at your blog and seeing all your pictures, how fun. Did you love the Lippizaners? I remember going to a Lippizaner barn in Vienna when I was a kid and loving it, but I'm probably a little more horse crazy than the average tourist. Cossette is doing well, no worries here. You guys escaped a massive flu epidemic, well maybe I'm exaggerating, but since my daughter, husband, patient, and patient's mom are all sick and several school districts have been closing, it sure seems that way. I won't show Cossette the picture of you cheating on her with foreign cats while you are away, I promise.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb