Slovenia Day 11


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Škofja Loka
September 20th 2013
Published: September 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 11 and return

We woke up in the night to strong winds and heavy rain, which persisted all through breakfast at 8am. A decision was made to take an easier option through to Skofja Loka and then North to Kranj to rejoin our planned route. The decision was made easier by the fact that the road on the second mountain pass was closed to traffic due to repairs following a landslide some while ago. This does not normally stop us but the rain would have made it harder to negotiate and the landslide was also on a dirt road section, which we have seen enough of to last us quite some time. We waited until 10.15 and miraculously the rain stopped at 10.18 and off on a 7k climb to reach the top of the pass at 780m in a 5 degree heat wave before descending to a busier road along the valley. At the bottom we stopped for coffee and a warm up at a local cafe to be met by the village drunk/idiot dressed as William Tell in a 3/4 length wool coat and a red pork pie hat with a feather in it. He jabbered away in broken English about basketball and nothing in particular for the whole of our stay. Once in Skofja we had some lunch in the lovely old town, which had lots of very old properties around the pedestrianised area, which were very interesting and pleasant. On our way out we took a wrong turning for Kranj, which fortunately took us in the correct direction, and in the event saved us 4 miles of busy road. After 3 miles we took another minor road which connected up with the original planned route through Kranja to arrive at our hotel at 3.30. We stripped down and bagged our bikes in brilliant sunshine with an amazing backdrop of the Kaminsko Savinjske Alps. This was a great conclusion after a splendid week in a country full of very welcoming people, stunning scenery and challenging rides.

The group then enjoyed another good meal at the Pension Zaplata to add to all the other meals which have been first class throughout the tour. Then to bed early at 9.30pm ready for a call at 4.10 to get to the airport for our 7am flight home to Manchester.

The end of another interesting tour in a beautiful region of Europe, which seems to make its money in tourism and certainly not from its very primitive farming practices. There are a few factories and several sawmills of various sizes to be seen but little else of size. The country is beautiful with many castles and old buildings in good condition which are very pleasing. In conclusion, a great place to visit if you love the outdoors and Alpine scenery and somewhere not on the regular beaten path.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb