Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Škofja Loka
July 9th 2013
Published: July 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

After driving through some beautiful scenery we came across this lovely medieval town. We parked just outside the town centre and were walking towards the river when the peaceful atmosphere was shattered by the sound of at least a score of motorcycles revving their engines and honking their horns. We turned just in time to glimpse the motorcycles escorting the bride and groom in their car on their way to the wedding reception. Just as suddenly as it was shattered, the peaceful atmosphere descended once more on Skofja Loka. The bridge across the river was narrow and old and deserted. Old houses lined the river bank, some of them with very tiny fields just outside their kitchen windows, with cabbages and turnips and other veggies growing in the rich soil fed by the river.

We walked towards the town centre where the town was coming to life with a street market, shops and restaurants. Tourists and natives were enjoying themselves and soon we found our way into a souvenir shop. the shopkeeper was very kind and gave us a free thimble to add to our collection. WE had spotted the thimbles but for some reason or other at first she said that they are not for sale, and then ended up giving us the box and telling us to chose one for free. Here we just had to buy the Honeybread for which this area is well known.

Soon it was time to leave this picture postcard town and continue on our journey.

Skofja Loka, small and beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

One of the bridgesOne of the bridges
One of the bridges

There is an actual postcard of this scene


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb