Day 6 - Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
April 11th 2014
Published: April 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Drove to Devin Castle, half an hour away from the city centre. From there, we saw the Danube River and the point where Danube and Morava River joined together. The view was spectacular, but then again, I've been saying that everywhere I've been so far. There, we also saw a monument of the Iron Curtain.



We drove back to the city and parked in a shopping centre. From there, we crossed a bridge, which had the UFO on top. UFO is a tower built on top of the bridge during the communist era and is now home to a very expensive restaurant. We walked past the university building of Bratislava and after a few turns, arrived at St. Elizabeth, also known as the little blue church. It is hidden in the middle of the city, even many locals have not heard of it. Unfortunately, we couldn't go in as there was an on-going service, so I had to settle to taking many pictures outside. There is a school right beside the church, which doesn't look like a school at all.



We then went to a cafe called Stur, after Slovakia's national hero and had dessert (again? DOH). By the time we made our way back to the car, it was dark. And of course, the night view of the city is surreal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Plaque of Iron CurtainPlaque of Iron Curtain
Plaque of Iron Curtain

The rusty bottom of the plaque gives the impression of blood, subtly reminding us the many lives lost during this era.



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb