Danube River Cruise


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
July 24th 2011
Saved: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Onboard the Swiss Jewel & Last Day in Budapest

Our last day in Budapest started with a late, leisurely breakfast and a walk along the Danube in the rain to see the Shoes on the Danube Promenade, a memorial to the Jewish victims who were killed by the Arrow Cross militiamen during World War II. Over 200 people were shot on the banks of the Danube and their bodies fell into the river. It is a moving memorial, and a very poignant reminder of some of the sad and difficult history of this region. We then boarded our buses for a trip to Buda, to the Castle Hill region. We visited Gellert Hill, with amazing views of the city, the Bartok House for a piano concert and tour, then a walking tour of Fisherman's Bastion and a visit to Matthias Church. Tom and I missed the Bartok House and the Fisherman's Bastion for two reasons; first, I had a terrible headache that was threatening to turn into a migraine at Bartok House, and then we tried to go see the Hospital in the Hill during the walking tour, but were unable to get in. Oh well, stopped at a lovely little cafe for coffee and strudel instead and got to see a bride and groom come by in a fairy tale carriage after their wedding at Matthias Church. It was charming. Finally, we boarded the Swiss Jewel for the beginning of our cruise. The Jewel is only a year old, and it is a luxurious riverboat. Our suite is comfortable and we have wide windows looking out onto the river. We had a lovely captain's reception where we were introduced to the crew and staff, and then a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. As it is my first cruise, I am having trouble getting used to the sight of water rushing by just outside my window, and the feel of the ship moving along. We hope to have nicer weather as we arrive in Bratislava this afternoon for a walking tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb