Serbia


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia
August 10th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We cruised down through Hungary until we reached the Serbian border, when we arrived at the border we were told to our amazement that our car was not insured to drive in Serbia, and that we would need to purchase insurance at the border or not be allowed in. While the police held onto our passports we moved our car out of the queue and sat in no-man's land while we made a quick phone call to the car company who confirmed that yes we were insured to drive in Serbia. Despite trying to explain this to the Border Police we still were not allowed in, we debated whether we wanted to blow an entire day's budget to spend three days in Serbia. Eventually we decided that as we had driven so far we may as well go in for a look. So we parted with our cash and got our passports back and continued on our way.

First stop was Novi Sad, a small town with some nice cafes and bars and the Petrovaradin Citadel which is the venue for the largest music festival in Europe (EXIT). We also met a great local guy who ran the hostel, he helped us find a car park and also gave us some advice on what to see and where to go Belgrade and even Croatia and Montenegro. After a cruisey day in Novi Sad we headed off to Belgrade for two days.

Again we were greeted at the hostel by two very helpful young local people, they helped us find a free car park near by and also gave us a run down on what to see and do in Belgrade (which was very little). The one thing that is does have is a Kalemegdan Citadel up on the hill overlooking Belgrade and the point at which two rivers (the Danuabe & Sava) meet. We headed up for a look and found the grounds full of older men playing Chess. The following day was very cruisey as there is not much else to see and do in Belgrade unless you are keen on clubbing all night.

All in all we are glad we went to see what Serbia has to offer but were a little disappointed as it was one of the places Jared was really looking forward to and it did not deliver what he was hoping for


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb