Pregnant Women and the Colour Yellow..


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
June 11th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Okay.....so I haven't blogged for a while so I'll have to catch you up:

We went to Dubrovnik, Croatia for a few days - it was awesome, one of the most beautiful old towns yet. Our legs got strong from the seemingly millions of stairs we had to climb to our hostel...the streets were so narrow that compact cars have to back up down one switch back then forward on the next, then back down the next one since there isn't even room to turn around and all the houses are built into a mountain. However the stairs were worth the view from our balcony. It was really warm there and we spent a couple afternoons at the beach and continued the siesta schedule. I swear, everyone should adopt the afternoon nap and I think we would all live longer, haha.

From Dubrovnik we got on a 22 hour ferry up to Rejika, Croatia!! We were skeptical about being on a boat for that long but we got a sleeper and I was determined to pretend we were on an elegant "cruise". It actually wasn't that bad as we could walk around, go to the restaurant and enjoy the gorgeous views. They had a lounge/bar area and TV and everything! best cruise ever!!! From Rejika we hopped on a train up to Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Slovenia was really nice....however the weather wasn't. I think it rained every single day we were there. But we toughed it out and saw the castle on the hill and other sites. We got to enjoy some variety in cuisine and had Mexican for a couple nights and Indian food! It was such a nice change from pizza and pasta that is everywhere. The main strip in the old town was pretty fancy with expansive clothing stores etc. but there was a canal lined with cafes and bars. This was the happening place all day and most of the night. We continue to be amazed at how many places just sell coffee and drinks. It's sometimes hard to find somewhere that has food too, but I guess it is just part of the culture here - not as rushed and you never see someone with a coffee in a to go cup. It's a great way to live.

We headed up to Bled, Slovenia for a few days to check out the castle on the cliff overlooking Bled lake and the island with a church on it. We were excited to have some fun since we were there for the weekend and the hostel we were staying at was above a pub. We had been pretty lame and going to bed early lately so we were super pumped to party it up a little. However, we both had really bad colds and couldn't hack staying up much past 10, so we tried to sleep while everyone partied, lol. The people at this hostel were great though, very welcoming and gave us free shots of their home made blueberry schnapps for our colds. Feeling a little better and seeing the sun come out the last day we were there, we rented a row boat and rowed our way to Bled island to see the church. The lake is a wonderful dark turquoise colour and we could see tons of schools of fish around the island. At the church we rang the "lucky bell" and did a lap of the island (it's pretty small) before heading back. On the way back there was a Marriachi band (random?) so we floated and listened to a few songs.

We had to go back to Ljubljana to catch a 10-hour train Belgrade, Serbia (which is where we are now). We weren't really sure what to expect from Serbia, but it is a pretty nice place. It is sort of sad to see the poor Romas living in shacks built from and surrounded by garbage. The city is modern though and there is a bustling pedestrian zone with pricey shops and lots of cafes. There is a fortress which we explored and they had lots of different cannons and guns on display. The hostel here is pretty cool and everyone is really nice. We made some friends last night as we taught them all how to play spoons and the hostel supplied free beer (from a big plastic bottle, of course) and raki (the traditional Serbian plum brandy which tastes like its pure ethanol at 50% alcohol). Grandma - i met some guys from Sweden and all I could remember of Swedish sayings is al-gel-ska-dag (I love you, haha). So we are killing time before we get on a night train (12 hours) to Bucharest, Romania. From here we'll make a tour of a few little towns in Transylvania, then back to Bucharest before heading to Bulgaria and hopefully Turkey.

We're both stoked to go to Transylvania and search for vampires 😊

Oh yeah, about the title....over the last few days we have seen an astounding number of pregnant ladies and people wearing yellow. They are everywhere!!


I have to go because Kelsey is making fun of my blog and how lame I am, so I can't concentrate anymore.

so keep on keeping on, and I'll write soon,

K.

Advertisement



11th June 2008

Well I was a little worried at first at the title... lol. Im glad you are having fun. Im still jealous you are going to the most incredible places its sounds like. Enjoy yourself. Dont get eaten by a vampire.
12th June 2008

Svenska
Jag älskar dig (yawg elskar day)

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb