Russia - St. Petersburg - DAY 2


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
June 16th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The sleep after the boat trip wasn't the best.... getting to bed at 4 in the morning and having to be up at 8 wasn't easy... but we thrived on the motto that, WE'RE IN RUSSIA, and sleep will just have to wait.
Plus, today was the day that we would visit the Hermitage Museum, and most excitingly for me; the Winter Palace!!!! For a history student who has studied the Russian Revolution quite a few times, seeing where sh*t kicked off in 1917 was awesome. The Winter Palace, as well as the majority of architecture in Saint Petersburg made huge statements, the buildings were massive and pastel colours seemed to be a favourite trend. After seeing the Winter Palace, we continued through the Hermitage Museum (which was 5 interlinked buildings each containing different elements), and saw where the last Romonov family were buried which was a history mndblow for many of us. The cathedral also held the remains of other emperors/empresses and important Russian figures. We were told that the ones with the double headed eagle on the coffin meant that they were an emperor or empress.
We later went to view all of the paintings in the museum, seeing
Inside the Winter PalaceInside the Winter PalaceInside the Winter Palace

Inside the Winter Palace
one of Leonardo Da Vinci's famous paintings, and hearing our tour guide shout under her breathe at a group of Asian tourists for ignoring the 'no flash' sign when taking a close up of his famous work.
Though we shouldn't have, we did have a little giggle.

Afterwards, in the night, many of us went to a traditional folk show in the Nikolayevsky Palace, where we had champagne and caviar and saw some beautiful singing and really cool dancing! Considering I only went because I wanted to make the most of extra activities because it's unlikely i'll go to Russia again anytime soon, the experience was incredibly and we all thoroughly enjoyed!

So day 2 of Saint Petersburg was a case of, we haven't yet been run over and are still continuing to enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The palace was a present for Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the GreatThe palace was a present for Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the Great
The palace was a present for Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the Great

The palace was a present for Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the Great
Friends and I in the Nikolaevsky Palace before the folk showFriends and I in the Nikolaevsky Palace before the folk show
Friends and I in the Nikolaevsky Palace before the folk show

Friends and I in the Nikolaevsky Palace before the folk show
Russian Folk Show; Kosak DancingRussian Folk Show; Kosak Dancing
Russian Folk Show; Kosak Dancing

Russian Folk Show; Kosak Dancing


15th July 2014
Inside the Winter Palace

Architecture
Just lovely

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb