sighisoara


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Brasov
July 12th 2014
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After a lovely country trip we arrived in Sighisoara, what we now call Sighi. It is a 15th century UNESCO medieval town, that is the old town. Vlad Dracula or Vlad the Impaler was born here in 1431. He is seen here as a hero. Because of his battles with the Ottomans. The church on the hill has 500 years old Frescos. There is the 14th century clock tower, some of the houses are from the Saksen era, 15th -16th century. The Phoenician house is from 13th century. Unbelievable because it is all intact and lived in. So here we went steps and cobble stone road up and up the hill to visit this famous church with the Frescos. When we got there no video or photo allowed. We begged telling we come from far away but no not allowed. And so this is with all Lutheran churches. The very efficient Lady in the tourist office told us yes it was a problem, they had tried to change their mind, but. Any museum you visit you have to pay $10 for use of camera and $14 for video plus an entrée fee. Oh Boy, do they have a lot to learn. Tourist are standing at the entrée and walk away. Every thing old is here a museum. So they need to look at this. There is a funny building item on some roofs. Little windows in the roof are made to look like eyes. There is also a tribe of Gypsies living in the old town. They send their kids out to beg. They look skinny and miserable. Today we saw from our hotel window a performance. An older Gypsie woman and a lad of about 9 were setting up camp in the car park. They had some young chooks to sell. They kept running away. The lad picked them up by one wing and threw them into the woman's lap. She tied the legs together but they still managed to escape hopping like a roo. They than were squashed into a box in 30 degrees heat. No greenies here to sop that . Sad though. Also some of the services you walk on with pins sticking upright stones lose on top of each other to walk on. We laughed and thought of our over protected country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.48s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb