No, that one is a little different....


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Moldova » Bacau » Comanesti
September 25th 2012
Published: September 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

One of our families!One of our families!One of our families!

Husband works 13 hours a day, 6 days a week as a truck driver to make a better life for his family.
We were asked to spend our day today at the Habitat for Humanity Comanesti warehouse as opposed to painting - which half of us were fine with the change of pace. Little did we know that 7000+ boxes of flooring in 30 different shades waited for us. So, as you can imagine as we unstacked and restacked box after box we all heard someone say - No, that one is different!

Before we got too far into it, we also got to move some furniture out of the way and three team members spent a good part of the day organizing hundreds of paint cans. Think of cleaning your garage and then the garage of all of your neighbors!

One of the highlights of the day was sharing the volunteer experience with 6 kids from a local school - all 13 years old - 3 girls and 3 boys. Each had some basic English and enjoyed the experience. They all have dreams of being a doctor, police officer, pilot, but today was there day to try volunteering. We challenged them and they worked hard to keep up with us and joined us in a 22 person chain, including our team, the kids, future home owners, and Habitat workers.

We had a great day and tonight the dinner was topped off by being able to connect the dots. We first went and visited the home of a future homeowner of the four-plex we are completing this week. The family of five with parents 37 and girls 10 and 9 and son 1 are currently living in a shack with no running water, an outhouse and limited electricity. Yet, they were proud to show us their current home where they live with the mother-in-law and special needs brother-in-law. The place was spotless and the kids were in their best clothes, well-behaived, and happy to be out for the night. See the attached picture to see the family we are proud to support in our efforts this week!

Advertisement



25th September 2012

Good work team!
I'm so glad you all made it there safely and things are going well. How neat that you could meet one of the families you're impacting. Enjoy the rest of your time there!
26th September 2012

Kids
I remember my team leader Brian saying in 2006 on the van ride to Radauti,Romania that kids are the same the world over, and it was pretty obvious from the subtext that they are always wonderful to interact with. Making life easier for the children of the world is always its own reward. Thanks for sharing. BTW, kudos to whoever is contributing to the blog. You are being heard and appreciated.

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb