Porto Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
June 5th 2006
Published: June 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Here,s our second day in Porto. We seem to do much better when we spend two days in the same place.you can,t really discover a city in one, plus the second day gives us a chance to sleep late and recharge. The hotel (hostal) is great except for the fact that the laundry it listed on the website whhen we booked meant laundry that is sent out which is very expensive anfd takes 49 hours.no good. That means we was panties in the bathroom and hope the rest of our clothes don,t stink!!
Evita went to the beach yesterday...you can get there right offf the metro (subway) and I went to the cathedral 1300,s.very dark and gothic... way up on a hill in the old section of town. The streets around the cathedral are a maze of tiny alleyways and crooked lanes, pretty much the bario of the city, lots of stray skinny dogs and feral cats in garbage cans. Yet you go a few streets down closer to the river Duorno and it,s luxury apartments on the waterfront. There,s nogray area in between. Just goes from one to another.
I had a soda in a tiny cafe that,s really a cave cut into the side of the mountain...picture didnt come out well.
We ate supper down by the river and I had some great fish......they feed you so much you can,t finish it....though I,m sure you could Sarah. Evita had a chicken casserole that was delicious 😊
Dogs being walked everywhere..no leash laws here...they just follow their masters. There are lots of tiny dogs. The signs on the subway says no perros which is probably why as I saw two women just pick up their dogs and stuff them into their purses before they boarded the trains. Laws here are to be obeyed but onnly if they can be bent somehow!!
Toook a ride on the finicular...sideways elevator.last night to get up from the river. Good, made up for the one we couldn,t find in Bilbao!! The one we treked all over looking for.
Plan for the Day: Shopping for sandals, post office, musuem of contemporary art and maybe a seista. It,s 10:00 am and it,s HOT beach weather.love it. Off the Liosbon tomorrow in the afternoon as we can,t check into the hostel until six.
Sarah: found you something and not going to tell you what it is.Dave I KNOW what you want..we,re not there yet............Miss you all
especially you GB, and Trooper, Chica, Raz etc........................Hey Gary I bought your mother a present.,,,,,,,,,,,,


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th June 2006

wow
that picture of the tiles is amazingly beautiful. actually all of the pictures of portugal are so far. what kind of fish did you have? id love to look it up and see how to make it.

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb