Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
June 24th 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lisbon Lisbon Lisbon

Street Scene
Lisboa (Lisbon Portugal)

Today we leave Spain for the drive (5 hours) to Portugal. We are heading to Lisbon on the shores of the Targa River. Portugal, much like Spain is famous for maritime history due to the efforts of Balboa, de Gama , and Magellan. All departed from the Tagus River to discover new lands, much like Columbus.

Today was another beautiful day, sunny but not so hot, temperature was only going to be around 90. Our first stop was a rest area around 10: AM however since we were traveling west it was actually only 9:00 AM local time but nobody told us!

Portugal is famous for many things one of them is Port Wine from the Modena Region. Since we were in Modena the rest area store was filled with Port Wines. We learned that Port is a fortified wine meaning rather than the usual 12% alcohol, Port has 19%! There is a red port (Tawny) or a white port both are a sweet wine. We came upon a bottle of white port and decided to give it a try (7.95 euro). It was delicious, light, and sweet with a fruity finish and a small
LisbonLisbonLisbon

Statue of the King of Portugal
bite from the excess alcohol. We decided to share the bottle with several of the rest of the travelers and soon had everyone snookered by the time we got back on the bus! Not only was it only 9:30 in the morning but the 19% alcohol can hit you very quickly. Soon the sound of sleeping people filled the bus!

Soon we arrived in Lisbon, known locally as Lisboa. This is an old city filled with history, castles and Cathedrals. We met our local guide who showed us the major sites from the comfort of our bus before our walking tour.

Lisbon is a short distance by river to the Atlantic and is in fact and excellent place to be a Mariner. Brazil was discovered by the Portuguese as was the short route to India and many other places and routes. Our first stop was the city of Bethlehem, known locally as Belem. It was from this city that all the mariners prayed at the cathedral before their departure across the Atlantic. A tower was built at the spot from which the mariners departed. The tower was built in the 1500’s.

Across the street from this location
LisbonLisbonLisbon

Monastery across from where the Mariners Left Portugal
was a former monastery, now a cathedral. Here is buried Magellan as well as other famous Portuguese historical figures. This monastery also had a hidden treasure.

When the monastery was inhabited by monks they had a sweet secret. They used egg whites to starch their robes every day. This resulted in an abundance of egg yolks. Not one to be wasteful the monks developed a sweet cake that when covered in sugar and cinnamon was a delight to the taste. Unfortunately this was a cloistered monastery meaning the people outside did not know what was going on inside. That was until the church was outlawed in the 1600’s and the monks were thrown out. There followed the discovery, among many other things, the sweet treat that is now a favorite of all. We all enjoyed a taste at the local bakery.

Soon it was time to depart and head to our hotel for some much needed rest before dinner at the Fado at 7:00 PM.

Our hotel was right on the beach. Finally a hotel not in the boonies! Unfortunately we did not have any time to enjoy the locale as it was already 5:30 and we
Lisbon Lisbon Lisbon

Bridge built by US Steel modeled after the Golden Gate Bridge
had to be ready by 7:00 so we took a rest and a shower. Fortunately we are here for two days and will have ½ a day on Sunday free time to enjoy the beach and explore the area.

Fado is a traditional entertainment that includes dances in local costume and sad songs about lost love. The show lasts about 2 hours during which we were served dinner and of course Port Wine, Sangria and other beverages. Dinner consisted of many local delicacies as starters followed by chicken in a light red sauce. Dessert was chocolate mousse, thank god no flan. I hate flan!

The entertainment was very different from Flamenco experienced in Seville. Whereas Flamenco is highly choreographed, Fado is open and more from the heart. The traditional dances were performed with emotion and the songs were melancholy and quite beautiful, even though we did not understand a single word!

At the end of the performance the dancers came into the audience and pulled people to carry some banners on to the stage to join the dance. As you might have guessed Rick and Alla were in the perfect spot to be chosen and we all
LisbonLisbonLisbon

Tower marking site of Maritime depatrures
laughed and applauded as they pranced and danced upon the stage. It was a very enjoyable evening.

More good news, Spain defeated France in the Euro Cup and is now scheduled to play Portugal. This will be a very exciting game as this rivalry goes back a long way! Our driver, Helder is Portuguese so we all want to see his team win.

Tomorrow is more Lisbon sightseeing and a beach afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Modern memorial to the Mariners of Portugal
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

we were pretty close to the Fodo Stage
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Fodo traditional Costumes
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Rick and Alla perform


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb