Happy New Year from Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
January 2nd 2008
Published: January 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Palacio da Pena, SintraPalacio da Pena, SintraPalacio da Pena, Sintra

The summer home of the Portuguese monarchs perched on a hilltop overlooking Sintra.
I barely managed to extricate myself from a serious clinch with a travel friend in time to catch the overnight bus from Seville to Lisbon, and send a cyber kiss to you cherie *mwah - mwah*. Eurolines decided, in their infinite wisdom, to schedule a traveller friendly departure time of midnight for the bus from southern Spain to the Portuguese capital, and to top it off the bus was scheduled to arrive in Lisbon at 5:30am Portugal time. I´d like to meet the genius who thought up that timetable ... Not! Anyways, it´s all good, and I was surprised to see my Chinese comrades from the dorm room we shared at a Granada hostel were also on the bus. It can be a very small world sometimes when you're on the road.

So I´m here in wonderful Portugal, dear reader, and after waiting ninety minutes for the metro to open, I wearily climbed aboard and soon got ensconced in the quality Goodnight Backpackers hostel smack bang in the city centre. Lisbon is a beautiful city, and I realise after six weeks in Western Europe I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but my impressions of these magnificent cities are
Praca do Rossio, LisbonPraca do Rossio, LisbonPraca do Rossio, Lisbon

Shot of a fountain with one of the plaza´s love walls in the background, including a reflection. That is a long winded description, and to be honest I just hope this photo doesn´t suck!
truly from the heart. For an Aussie there's nothing to compare with the cities in mediterranean Europe, and they never fail to impress. Then again, they don´t have any kangaroos so at least we still have something over the Europeans! Lisbon is hilly, but if you're feeling the pinch you can jump on one of the convenient trams, for a bit of motorised assistance in tackling the many steep climbs. The oldest tram is from the 1880´s, and Lisbon is a city of great history and tradition.

I settled into my hostel quickly, and was lucky to spend a special New Year's Eve in Lisbon. Everything came together so nicely here with a brilliant hostel owner making me feel welcome, and then I met the Spanish hostel guests. They arrived as a large group of eighteen people from Granada, and planned their New Years Eve well in advance. The entire hostel's guests for the big night consisted of the Spanish, a lone Mexican girl, a Japanese guy, and a hopping kangaroo. The Spanish group cooked up a huge banquet to celebrate the New Year, and one of the dorm rooms was magically transformed into a restaurant for the evening.
Cranky old gargoyleCranky old gargoyleCranky old gargoyle

Guarding the walls of the Palace in Sintra.
This was the start of a great New Year's Eve in Lisbon.

At midnight Spanish time we all waited for the countdown, while tuning into Spanish TV from one of the guest's laptop computer. Then everyone downed a dozen grapes for good luck in the upcoming New Year, which is a Spanish tradition I wasn´t aware of and great fun. Then we grabbed some whisky and coke, and headed to the main square in time for the New Year fireworks an hour later. The square was absolutely packed with revellers and the atmosphere was exhilarating. A band was playing on a giant stage erected for the festivities, and we partied along with the crowd on quite a mild evening. The Spanish know how to kick on, so then it was off to Bairro Alto which is a famous street for clubbing. We milled around on the street for a time polishing off more drinks, and eventually we went into a club to dance along to great songs, and a bit more partying. I think I finally crawled into bed around 6:30am, after a memorable New Year's Eve spent in good company.

New Year's day was spent by the
Looking out over the PalaceLooking out over the PalaceLooking out over the Palace

The architecture is really unusual, but well cool!
hostel guests resting and recuperating, which I capped off with an excellent Indian meal over a few beers. But you can´t spend all your time lazing around when on holidays, so the next day it was time to jump on an early train for a day trip to the magical city of Sintra, which is barely an hour out of Lisbon. This hilly town was a personal favourite of Lord Byron, and home to the Portuguese monarchs during the summer months. The tourist information centre in Sintra gets travellers sorted in no time, and a bus round trip will take you to all the sights for just four euros. The lady at the counter explained that one palace was closed because it was wednesday, and I just stared at her blankly. Mate, I don´t have a clue what day of the week it is when I´m travelling, but I appreciated the heads up from la senora.

The Palacio da Pena was the highlight for me, and within the palace the monarchs´ rooms have been recreated in the traditional style of the times. Sintra is a great little town to stroll around, and the historical centre is filled with gorgeous little cobble stone streets so common in this part of the world. There are villas and gardens aplenty to explore and it´s all within easy reach of the capital. When I stopped off for lunch in the city I ordered a ham and cheese roll with a coke, and was charged two euro and sixty five cents. As you can gather, Portugal is a considerably cheaper travel destination than her neighbours in mediterranean Europe, and the weather has been surprisingly mild given it's now the middle of winter.

The Portuguese provide a special welcome to visitors in this gorgeous country, and on the Atlantic coast the capital city of Lisbon is a must see travel destination. I´ve enjoyed friendly banter with the locals, good food at affordable prices, and outrageously cheap beer. The main supermarket on New Year´s Eve was packed to the rafters, but I was happy to queue patiently for 45 minutes, because after all my six pack of beer cost the princely sum of one Euro and fifty cents; now that´s a price worth lining up for! In Portugal travellers come to discover the country that discovered half the world and, basically all of you should be here now!


I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake." Robert Louis Stevenson


As I continue my travels, until next time it´s signing off for now

Tom

Note: Feel free to post comments on this site, or click on the subscribe button for notification of upcoming travel journals

Advertisement



3rd January 2008

Great Stuff
Good going Tom, an interesting read. :-)
3rd January 2008

We´re also here
hey tom. You almost went to where we live in sweden and now we are close again. we are 100 km north of Lisbon and planing to go there tomorrow. we´re in a fishing village called Peniche at Pontuses parents apartment. Maybe we´ll bounce in to each other. Take care. /Pontus and Camilla from salar de uyuni
13th August 2011
Praca do Rossio, Lisbon

Amazing Praca do Rossio
Dear Reader; Lisbon is a magficient city and specially ancient building woth to see.I traveller to many parts of Europe but I found Praca do Rossio very nice in terms of surrounding building and a good place to meet friends and good connection to transports.City is very clean and well maintained. My advice to reader this my comments go to Lisbon and explore the beauty of this great country PORTUGAL I LOVE YOU FROM BOTTOM OF MY HEART.
26th July 2012
Palacio da Pena, Sintra

Portuguese

Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 35; qc: 151; dbt: 0.247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb