Port Towns Get Tons of Rain


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
November 18th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Raininess Makes Me Lumpy



Lazy Jacks...a strange meeting place

We stuck around Lazy Jacks last night after posting the blog. There's live music every night so we figured we might as well stick around and listen. Kel talked the cook into making us Nachos despite the fact the kitchen had closed. There were pretty special nachos...made with doritos (up near the top of Kel's favorite foods). As the live music ended (near midnight) one of the local characters Peter the Swed came up to us and struck up a conversation. Despite his broken English and drunkenness, he was quite a nice guy. Told us this was the absolute worst time to be in Europe. he kept saying something along the lines of, "In Sweden right now...no coffee....no fun...just work and hockey...like Canada...stupid Canadians...absolutely no fun...you don't want to be there." It was very amusing all around.

Lumping and Rain

We got up around 10am and promptly figured out after using the toilette that water was off. Kel went upstairs to talk to the owner but there was no answer at their door...just what sounded like a heated argument that every once in a while contained the word "Agua" which means water. About a half hour later we caught the owner's husband in the hallway and he told us the water had been off since 5am due to a blockage in the water system caused by floating debris that must have happened because of the rain. At this point I'm thinking, "Great, I smell like poo...have hair stinking up in every direction like an 8 year old who won't let his parents fix his hair and our bathroom smells like urine! Great, just great!"

We left the apartment and went to find food. After eating we decided to walk near the water to get the juices flowing for the morning. About half way down the waterside the rain decided that it had been holding back too long. Thankfully we had our rain coats but either way we got soaked. We ran into the market area which turned out to be really cool. It was an open fish, meat and produce market.

We stayed there until the rain let up some and then went to the grocery store and bought some provisions. We're not sure if anything will be open tomorrow so we wanted to be sure we had food in case we were right and the town is dead on Sunday.

Pretty much from that point on we sat in our apartment and watched TV. We spent about 2 hours watching "Domino Day," a show about a giant domino display that took nearly 2 hours to have all of them fall. It was absolutely ridiculous...total dominos used...over 4 million. Crazy!!

We're now back in Lazy jacks watching Rugby, drinking beer and obviously playing on the computer. Hope you are all having a great day back home!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



20th November 2006

Having a great day...right
Hmmm...as I prepare for Monday back at the office I am forced to compare your day to mine. You'll wake up around 10. I'll wake up at 5:30, to leave home by 6:30 so I can get a good parking space on campus since they destroyed everything but the front row to make the parking deck (which will be done in APRIL). You'll grab a leasurely coffee at a local cafe. I'll rush into Future-of-Work land so that I can get a desk before we run out of tables. You'll drink beer in the early afternoon - and I'll curse you, ALL DAY LONG~ Seriously, I'm thrilled y'all are having a good time and I'm green with jealousy!!

Tot: 0.474s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 92; dbt: 0.3807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb