Lagos Here We Come


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
November 16th 2006
Published: November 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from Evora

Didn't get to post these from the last blog...so here you go

A Day of Travel through the Countryside



Our Final Night in Evora

Last night we were plagued with pretty strong rain which dampened the spirit of Evora (pun intended). We went searching for a restaurant which was supposed to have funky food but alas did not find it and got tired of traipsing through the rain. We fell back on a closer and easier to find restaurant called Mr. Pickwick’s, which strangely is not British but Portuguese. The food was good hardy Portuguese fare. I had a great Portuguese bread soup which is made with stock, bread, pork and strangely enough a hard boiled egg. It was really very good! Kel went with non-Portuguese fair, beef stroganoff and onion soup. She was really pleased with the food because it was comfort food for a cold rainy day.

Bus Travel has its Benefits

Today we woke up a little late and finished our packing. The hotel was nice enough to keep our bags until we needed to leave, which was not until closer to our 2:30pm bus trip. We took a quick walk down to the station and bought our tickets and
The Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from Evora

Didn't get to post these from the last blog...so here you go
then got some lunch.

After lunch we went bag and grabbed our bags for the trek to the bus station. I’ll tell you, what seems like a short walk without 40 pounds on your back is a complete pain in the butt with the extra weight. As Kel keeps saying, this is a good experiment in what it would be like to be well over weight. I now completely sympathize with anyone who has extra weight that they can’t get rid of…ouch!!

The bus ride was kinda cool. Since it had multiple stops we drove through back roads through the country. The countryside of Portugal reminds me of paintings that I’ve seen from the 1800s. Portugal has a large quantity of farms and unspoiled wild fields. It was incredibly beautiful.

We switched busses in Albufeira which is dead in the middle of Portugal’s southern coast. Unfortunately we didn’t get to se much of the coast because the sun had gone down. By time we had gotten to Lagos, our final stop, we had been traveling for 5 and a half hours and, of course; we then had to walk, with packs, to our new hotel, Casa Almarela.
The Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from Evora

Didn't get to post these from the last blog...so here you go
Thankfully the walk turned out to be considerably shorter than our one in Evora but, our incredibly friendly hostel owner wanted to tell us all about the town while we had our packs on. After about ten minutes of talking while wearing our full pack accoutrement the owner took us to our room.

We really lucked out on the room. We have an apartment that’s supposed to be shared with two other people, but there are no other people to share it with. So we have a kitchen, a bathroom and a TV sitting area all to ourselves.

Lagos seems like the sort of town that would be absolutely on fire during the summer months, but right now it’s completely dead. I look forward to seeing the town in day light and am actually glad that we will get to experience it without thousands of Brits trying to sun themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We realize this entry is a day late but we weren't able to get on the internet until today (the 17th). Hopefully we'll have enough time to post today's blog as well. If not, look forward to more soon!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from Evora
The Church of The Bones from Evora

Didn\'t get to post these from the last blog...so here you go
The Church of The Bones from EvoraThe Church of The Bones from Evora
The Church of The Bones from Evora

Didn\\\'t get to post these from the last blog...so here you go


17th November 2006

Kel and Mike, It appears like the situation you were in with the hostel owner was not desirable. I then began to think of ways you could avoid such uncomfortable situations in the future. 1. Ask the person if they would like to try on your backpack to see how comfortable it is. They’ll probably end the whole thing at that point. 2. Take the pack off your back and by mistake set it on the person’s foot. That should definitely speed things up. 3. Fall over backwards from the weight of the pack and knock over a lamp or some other piece of furniture. This should produce immediate results.
17th November 2006

HAHAHAHAHA
You are ABSOLUTELY hilarious! Definitely the frontrunner for Commentator o' the Year

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb