The real Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Albufeira
May 7th 2014
Published: May 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we discovered the real Portugal. We went places where few tourists go, we wondered through the countryside on some pretty windy and very steep roads. We saw some little towns that looked extremely quiet and peaceful. We saw hundreds of acres of orange groves. We even found another vista along the way.

Here is a list of the towns we saw:
1. Paderne - along the way to Alte we got lost in the town of Paderne. So we toured the cemetery which is like the ones in New Orleans.

2. Alte-a quaint little town with a river running through it and a very old cathedral. The Cathedral dates back to the 16th century. The chapels are decorated with golden leaf from the 1700's. One chapel has side walls covered with smooth surfaced tiles dating back to the 16th century. These tiles are rare in Portugal.

3. Sarnadas - now this is where the day got interesting. We had a brochure that said they sold Arbutus berry brandy in this town. Arbutus is the Latin name for Madrone trees. Well we had to get some of that. The road to Sarnadas is steep and narrow. Our little rental car barely made it up the hills. Along the way we took a turn off to a great vista and then headed on. The town was only one narrow street with one bar and one restaurant and no Arbutus berry brandy. But we gave the town something to talk about for a long time. Just the fact that American tourists in a shiney red car drove to their town was excitement.

4. Benafim Grande - along the way home we drove through this little town with an interesting statue. So we stopped to take a picture of it.

What a great day of exploring the back roads of Portugal. We ended the day by preparing in our condo a prawn feast with fresh caught local prawns.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Typical Portuguese manTypical Portuguese man
Typical Portuguese man

Town of Sarnadas
Interesting statueInteresting statue
Interesting statue

Benafim Grande


10th May 2014

Madrone trees?
Too bad you didn't find the brandy. Just for giggles and grins. Ask the Portuguese how to pronounce "madrone". :-). Sending fun. Janine xoxoxo
10th May 2014

What gorgeous views and towns!
I am so happy for you; to see the countryside you are enjoying and the amazing and intimate small towns must be astounding in person. Loving every minute!

Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb