Walking to Gdynia


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Pomerania » Gdynia
October 10th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Swans and calm beachSwans and calm beachSwans and calm beach

Morning light and soft lapping waves makes this beach on the Baltic Sea a good place to walk.
I am staying with Servas friends, Ewa and Bogumil, in Gdynia. This morning Bogumil dropped Ewa and I off at Sepot, a Victorian beach town, so that we could walk along the beach back to Gdynia. I think we walked over 10 kms along the Baltic Sea. It is really warm here, plus sixteen in the afternoons. The beaches were relatively empty. Sepot reminded me of Brighton, but much more toned down. The pier was empty and calm, though Ewa told me that it has games and rides during the summer holidays.
The best thing about Ewa and Boumil's house is the pets, three dogs and cats; reminds me of home. It was great walking the dogs in the park yesterday. A couple more days in this area and I will head for Warsaw. The weather has been great, an Indian summer making the days much warmer than expected. If I time it correctly, I'll be moving south when the colder weather comes back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Sepot PierSepot Pier
Sepot Pier

Toned down compared to British piers.
Mineral WatersMineral Waters
Mineral Waters

Spa for the invalid who would like to drink the mineral waters.
Modern BuildingModern Building
Modern Building

Think this was a restaurant in Sepot.
Modern ArchitectureModern Architecture
Modern Architecture

This is a games establishment.
Statue for local man.Statue for local man.
Statue for local man.

The statue honours an elderly, poor man who use to frequent this street with his umbrella. He was quite a character.
Victorian StreetVictorian Street
Victorian Street

This is the famous street to the beach and pier in the heart of Sepot.
View towards landView towards land
View towards land

To the right are large, expensive hotels.
CliffsCliffs
Cliffs

Not on the scale as the cliffs of Dover, these are made of sandstone. Under the sea, near Gdansk, there are deposits of amber that can wash ashore after storms.
SwansSwans
Swans

The swans are quiet friendly, waiting for food from people on the beach.
Gdansk Gdansk
Gdansk

Off in the distance (east) is Gdansk.
SkySky
Sky

Beautiful, eh?
MapMap
Map

The red dot is where we started, near the top is Gdynia where we caught bus for home.
PierPier
Pier

There were several piers along the beach, some used for fishing.
StrongholdStronghold
Stronghold

During the war there was a great battle here while the Polish forces tried to defend themselves.
CliffCliff
Cliff

People are not suppose to walk under cliff due to erosion, so of course we did. It was fastest way to town.
Autumn coloursAutumn colours
Autumn colours

Can you see the autumn colours of the leaves?
Towards SepotTowards Sepot
Towards Sepot

I kept snapping pictures, hoping the camera would capture the light and beauty.
HouseHouse
House

This is Ewa and Bogumil's house, view from back garden.
PlayingPlaying
Playing

Can't spell (or remember) Polish names of dogs.
WalkWalk
Walk

Yesterday we took the dogs for walk in nearby woods. These are very well behaved dogs.
ParkPark
Park

What a beautiful park, again, very quiet and calm, although Ewa said that there are foxes, badgers and wild boar here.
WoodsWoods
Woods

The dogs got really dirty; they found the muddy water in ditches.
TiredTired
Tired

When the mud dried and fell off, they were allowed in the house.
HostelHostel
Hostel

This is the hostel in Gdnansk; the breakfast nook.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb