Warsaw


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
June 28th 2014
Published: June 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ah, Allan did a good job with the GPR, for new landed at the right place. A very busy cobblestoned street. But where is the parking? Liz, inside checking. Yes the car has to go into one of those famous cellars. We had a guide who showed us the opening. The car squeezed through. Very narrow had to backup to park. Not a bad room. About a half hour walk to the old city. Which we did that day. We had a meal in Grandma's kitchen than back to the Hotel. The old city was virtually destroyed un the 2nd world war. But the reconstruction was amazing. The people were stubborn to put it back in the original style and form. It is now the only reconstructed site in the world. You do think that tourists go there to eat. looking at all the restaurants etc. There are many churches and a serious awareness of the massacre Jews. Unfortunately the Museum regarding these sad times was closed for reconstruction. We did visit the places where Jews were rounded up and transported to camps. Some under ground bunkers where thousands were hiding. With the help of the various forces and freedom fighters, were destroyed with everyone in it. One of those places we visited. it is an eerie feeling to stand on top of these sections. knowing what went on there. We checked with Police how to purchase tickets for local transport, that is plentiful. They escorted us to a ticket machine. They operated it and we had to pay 30 PLN that is about $10 for the whole day. We took a picture with from them with Liz in it as well. Not for Facebook, they said. Later we found out that people over 70 travel for free. Now did they think we were younger or that we were tourists and can afford it. Who knows. In any case it was a nice thing to do. God knows what people were thinking being tagged along by Police.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb