Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Masovia » Warsaw
March 24th 2007
Published: March 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in civilization, in Clare's terms this means any city with a H&M which Warsaw has many it even has a Zara! , following the overnight bus from Vilnius.

We were pretty tired after the bus and it didn't help that when we were getting the train into town from the bus station Clare was "Babusked". So far in Eastern Europe we have been Babusked far too many times by crazed old ladies in public spaces rushing to be at the front of any line (They have lived through communism for most of there lives so we do understand) or on their way to some important old lady business. In the train station Clare was walking up the steps to the platform when a burly granny come hurtling down the steps and changed direction to head straight towards Clare with a look of move or be moved. I would have dived out the way, but Clare stood her ground and the ran straight into her and started screaming at Clare. In true big manc fashion Clare gave the old lady some jip back so the Biddie ran off down the stairs hurling abuse at her! They are crazy!

Warsaw was a nice few days cruising around and checking out the city. The old town is pretty impressive though as it was completely destroyed after WW2. Although they dismantled another town in Poland which was not damaged and rebuilt Warsaw with it! Very Cheeky!
We visited a few of the museums in the city, the Jewish museum was great and depicted the Warsaw ghetto and the life of the Jews in the war really well. Not much remains of the Ghetto we only saw a section of the Ghetto wall which still stands between two tenancy blocks as the Nazi's completely destroyed the area.

After Warsaw we headed to Krakow to meet Clare's parents. We met the most knowledgeable person on Football I have ever met on the train there. He was a Polish bloke who we got chatting to and he follows Poland around all their qualifying games , well unbelievably he knew that Leeds where unbeaten in their previous three games and other random facts. He supported Hibs and Bristol City and could do a quality Glaswegian accent! So that journey was great esp as the train was like the one Carter takes to Newcastle in Get Carter.

Krakow was a great break two months in, lovely hotel (Thank you Mr & Mrs Costello), awesome Sauna, chilling around the pool and meeting up with the Costello's. The city is stunning though the man above decided to place a a huge rain cloud over the whole of Poland during the duration of our stay. Lucky its one of those places where the weather does not matter so no stress!

Thanks again to the Costello's for Krakow!







Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb