Smooth Ride to Wroclaw


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lower Silesian » Wroclaw
August 1st 2011
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oh dear how boring this is getting. It was raining again this morning. We have had rain for at least part of the day for the last 12 days. So we headed off from Katowice without seeing much of the city as it’s too wet to explore what might be on offer.
Driving through the city we see a mix of the shiny new buildings with their glass walls rising skywards and the old buildings looking as though they have seen better days. Opening the car window to take a quick photo we were enveloped in the smell of coal smoke. Coal is in abundant supply in the area as we have seen many working mine pitheads.
The roads through the city have been some of the best we have encountered. It didn’t take long before we were in the midst of an enormous, and much needed, roading programme. There were delays, detours and dirt. Thankfully it had stopped raining or there would have been mud. One of the detours took us onto the A4 Motorway and we noticed the Toll sign had been crossed out. After a very quick committee meeting it was decided to continue on this road for as long as possible because the road surface was smooth and this meant a comfortable ride.
Having done our homework last night on how best to get to our hotel arriving into Wroclaw on the A4 and then Route 8 made the rest of the journey seem straight forward. But there is always one last twist in the tale. The city fathers, in an effort to solve the road surface problem, had laid out about two kilometres of concrete block cobbles just to add a bit of an historical look to the road. How the car has not developed rattles we don’t know. Perhaps it’s a great advertisement for the makers of our Peugeot 207SW. Arriving at our hotel was quite straight forward without the need of the usual scenic detour. Who needs a GPS?
As we write this blog the sun is shining and all looks promising for a fine day tomorrow, when we take the opportunity of finding out what this city has to offer.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb