First Full Week Teaching


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lower Silesian » Wroclaw
September 12th 2010
Published: September 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well its been a while since my last update but not much has happened. Still not used to the food or the language but we're learning new words everyday. The town we live in, Sycow, is very small and there is nothing to do so we pretty much are going to have to travel every weekend to stay sane. Monday through Thursday we taught. Monday we had 5 lessons in Sycow, Tuesday we had 7 in Sycow, Wednesday we had 6 in Ostrezesow, and Thursday we had 5 in Ostrezesow. We teach 16 and 17 year olds. They are alright I guess, no big problems came up other than the few classes we had were not 1 student could speak English. And both schools kind of sprung extra lessons on us when we arrived each day to fill in for absent teachers. Since all the notes about everything school related are in Polish, Des and I had no idea that we were supposed to teach an extra lesson until it was time for the class to start. Obviously we had nothing prepared so we just played games with those extra classes. Our normal work week should be 20 lessons and this week we finished with 23. Its not that big of a deal since we will be paid extra, but it was a little inconvenient. After teaching we have nothing to do since we are stuck in Sycow so we just hang out around our apartment. Friday we had to get up really early again to make the 8:00am bus to Wroclaw so that we could get the 10:08 train to Opole to meet with our boss again about our visa paperwork. Since we were late last week, we didn't get it all finished in time before the visa office closed for the weekend. Well, we made the train and got there on time. The visa meeting only took about half an hour then we ate lunch in Opole and got the train back to Wroclaw. We checked into our hotel then walked all around the old town part of the city. The buildings were beautiful and there were tons of stores. Went back to sleep at the hotel and got up the next morning and went to the Wroclaw zoo for the day. It was pretty nice for a zoo but really smelly. Left the zoo, walked all around the city again and got the last bus back to Sycow at 10:15pm. Today we have nothing to do so we're going to plan all of our weekend trips for the next few months.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th September 2010

school
Alyson, it was good to hear from you this week about your school. We've had a good week. Yesterday Pops and I went to Mark and Melissas. It was Josh's black belt finals. He did well on all except the last kick. He'll finish that next week. We went to a Japanese cafe afterwards. We are going to Amy and Mike's for supper tonight so I'll write more later. Your mother sent me your address so we'll send you a short note. Love your, Memaw and Pops.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb