Christmas in Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lower Silesian » Wroclaw
December 26th 2008
Published: December 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wroclaw Christmas TreeWroclaw Christmas TreeWroclaw Christmas Tree

Chelsea and Marika in front of the tree
Merry Christmas from Poland! On Wednesday, Dec. 24th, I took the train from Wroclaw to Kostrzyn Nad Odra to meet Rick and Jakub, 2 of Bri's college friends. Jakub is Polish (went to high school and college in the US, now works in DC) and his family still lives in Poland. Jakub's family was very welcoming and I enjoyed my few days in their home.

The train was quite full on the journey to Kostrzyn - I had to stand next to the door (cold!) for the first half of the 5 hour trip - but I got a seat after a number of passengers got off in Zielona Gora.

The big Christmas celebration happens on the 24th in Poland. Dinner consists of 12 dishes (not meat), including 5 fish specialties. The Konysz menu consisted of barszcz (beetroot soup), herring soup, pickled carp, fried carp, baked carp and jellied carp.

After dinner, St. Mikolaja came to bring 3-year-old Szymon his presents. Ol Mikolaja had some presents for me, which was a nice surprise.

On Christmas day, we had more food, including Golabki, a Polish dish of meat and rice rolled into a cabbage leaf. We also went to a church service in Kostrzyn with Jakub's family and then played card games.

It was a lovely holiday with many thoughtful cards, packages, emails and texts from friends and family around the world. Thanks to all for making my holidays special.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Christmas marketChristmas market
Christmas market

Christmas market in the Wroclaw Rynek. A sort of holiday carnival with rides, food, hot wine and trinkets.
Santa visitsSanta visits
Santa visits

Jakub's dad plays Santa for Jakub's nephew.
Bri's surprise present!Bri's surprise present!
Bri's surprise present!

Bri mailed rick a present to bring to me in Poland. (and I'm wearing the scarf Rick and Jakub gave me).
Konysz familyKonysz family
Konysz family

Jola, Jakub, Dorota - my kind hosts.
Americans in PolandAmericans in Poland
Americans in Poland

Ricky and Chelsea at the Konysz home for Christmas.
Christmas (Eve) DinnerChristmas (Eve) Dinner
Christmas (Eve) Dinner

Rick and Chelsea with Jakub's brother Bartek in the background. Please note the jellied fish. Mmmm.
Home away from homeHome away from home
Home away from home

Rick, Chelsea, Jakub and Gaja
Walk along the Odra River in KostrzynWalk along the Odra River in Kostrzyn
Walk along the Odra River in Kostrzyn

Kasia, Bartek, Chelsea, Jakub and Szymon
Outside the Wroclaw museumOutside the Wroclaw museum
Outside the Wroclaw museum

When Jocelyn from Gliwice came to visit, we did the touristy/museum thing.
Wroclaw UniversityWroclaw University
Wroclaw University

Interesting. Was mostly destroyed in WWII, but beautifully rebuilt.
On top of the World!On top of the World!
On top of the World!

Observation tower at Wroclaw University.
Pretty doorsPretty doors
Pretty doors

Wroclaw University
Ridin' them broncosRidin' them broncos
Ridin' them broncos

Or goats, whatever. Butcher street in Wroclaw - art galleries/pubs/etc.
With my peepsWith my peeps
With my peeps

Butcher Street
They're not going anywhereThey're not going anywhere
They're not going anywhere

Near the train station. These poor souls walk out of the cement on the other side of the street.


Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb