AUSCHWITZ


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
February 27th 2012
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Euro Trip

From Isle Man to Milan, Italy (Via Plane). To Milan - Krakow,Poland (Via Plane)From Poland - Slovakia, Hungry, Austria, Czech Republic (By train). Czech Republic - Sweden (By plane). Sweden - Denmark (By car). Denmark - Norway via Cruise ship. Norway back to Sweden by car.

We have just finished a visit to Krakow and were totally impressed with what this small city in southern Poland has to offer. Central Krakow is marked by a typical market square which is the centre of activity in Krakow. The town centre is dotted with cosy Polish restaurants, nice underground bars, beautiful catholic churches and a hilltop castle just outside of the city centre.

We found some great little restaurants and loved the ‘Beef Goulash’ which was amazing. There are almost no cars in the city centre making it very pleasant to stroll round the city.

There are many things to do and sights to see in Krakow, largely based on historical events, the Jewish occupation and WWII Popular tourist walks include the Old Town, The Jewish Quarter and the factory of Oscar Schindler, were the epic film Schindler's list was based on, aswell as being filmed on location here in 1993.

One of our main reasons for wanting to visit Krakow was to visit the Auschwitz concentration camp which is the very sight of the largest Nazi death camp from WWII. More than 1.5 million Jews were murdered during the largest genocide since mankind but rather than attempt to tell a little about this story I will leave you with the pictures I took that tell a thousand words…….


Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



20th December 2011

You are a 2011 TravelBlog favourite photographer!
Check this out, and feel free to add some 2011 TravelBlog favourite anythings of your own. :) http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/30521-1.html I am having trouble posting this comment. This is my 4th attempt. Hopefully, the other comments actually failed, and I am not bombarding your guestbook. :) Happy Christmas, from TravelBlog!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb