Day 161-162 Krakow Poland and a load of Dogs


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
October 11th 2011
Published: October 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wieliczka Salt Mine Wieliczka Salt Mine Wieliczka Salt Mine

Underground Cathedral 327 Metre's underground.
Day 161-162 Krakow Poland and a load of Dogs

Leaving Hungary we headed north, through Slovakia towards Poland and our next stop Krakow. The temperature has significantly dipped and we are wondering why we are heading north rather than going south to the warmth of the med once again. As a consequence, we have also started to sleep downstairs occasionally rather than the penthouse -not only because of cold but the occasional water torture on our heads caused through drips of condensation.

The journey through Slovakia, and across the border towards Krakow was beautiful with great landscapes and mountains. Before we reached Krakow we stopped at the Unesco World Heritage site of the Wieliczka Salt mine. It closed as a salt mine in 1995 and now is a museum. Walking down and down a staircase we arrived far underground to a labyrinth of tunnels and displays depicting the working of the Salt mine. The amazing thing about this mine is the Statue’s and even Chapel’s that have been carved out of Rock salt. One chapel is huge and we were told that Marriages and receptions are held down here. As a museum it was amazing but it seemed a little sanitized and parts look a bit like a Hotel, and would have really liked to have been giving a better impression of what working a salt mine was really like.

We had been recommended not only by other travellers but by lonely planet guide who highly gave Krakow and the Castle overlooking the river a thumbs up. Krakow was a bit of a disappointment, yes the town centre with its huge piazza is pretty, but maybe the weather damped things down, but it lacked atmosphere and the castle turned out to be a bit drab and dull.

One high spot in Krakow was unexpected. On arrival at our campsite 7 British motor homes arrived. As we have already mentioned we have met few British vans on our travels and for so many to come in one lump was amazing. It turned out they were member of Cannix Cross. No we hadn’t heard of it either. Out of the motorhomes emerged loads of dogs. Cannex Cross involves 1 or 2 dogs harnessed to their owners and running across a 2k and 5 k cross country course. Alison suggested I take up the sport, but I can see it now - me tripping over and being dragged 5K, head first through the mud! They were in Poland for the European Championships, we joined them for a drink that evening and wished them luck for the event.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Wieliczka Salt MineWieliczka Salt Mine
Wieliczka Salt Mine

Carved figures
Cannix Cross ArriveCannix Cross Arrive
Cannix Cross Arrive

Arriving for the European Championships


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb