Easter in Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
April 8th 2007
Published: April 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Plaszow Concentration CampPlaszow Concentration CampPlaszow Concentration Camp

This was the first concentration camp we visited inside Krakow. It's the one featured in Schindler's List.

Easter in Krakow and Auschwitz-Birkenau

 Europe » Poland » Krakow By Jenifah
April 8th 2007
Jennifer Clessas
Besides being deathly ill this Friday and spending a total of about twenty hours on a bus, Poland was great. We visited the city of Krakow, which seemed to me like a cleaner, more modern version of Prague. We also ate some pretty incredible pierogies, better than Valpo cafeteria, but not as good as my mommy's. We stayed in the center of Krakow and only had one full day to discover it. We toured around the castle and the Easter markets and went through a few churches. It was interesting being in a very religious city for Easter there were people carrying Easter baskets all over the entire weekend. We spent the better part of Sunday in a bus and visiting Auschwitz. The remains of the concentration camp were desolate and there was a lot of inward contemplation on the busride back. It was strange to be walking through the grass of the camp and hearing the neighboring church bells ringing of celebration and life for Easter. It didn't seem to fit the mood. We also stopped at another concentration camp that had no remains left but a field and a couple monuments, it was right inside Krakow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The DragonThe Dragon
The Dragon

Krakow/ Poland's national symbol?


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb