Alesund - July 7


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 10th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Norway Countryside Norway Countryside Norway Countryside

On route to Alesund
Visited the town of Alesund today where in 1904 the whole town center burned to the ground and ten thousand people were left homeless. By 1907 a new town had been rebuilt in the distinctive Art Noveau style inspired by both National Romanticism and the contemporary modern architecture that was prevalent in Europe. Took a walking tour of the town where we passed through many of the quaint and colorful buildings with a myriad of turrets, spires and beautiful ornamentations very much like something out of a fairytale. Walked along the Brosundet Canal where the fishermen sell the days catch from their boats, Drove up to Mount Aksla overlook which gave us a great overview of the town, lovely islands and majestic alps. Our lodging for the night was the Vigra Fjordhotell on the island of Vigra (no not viagra) about 20 min. from Alesund and we drove through 2 underwater tunnels (the Nowegians not only build them through mountains but under water as well) to get there. Quaint hotel built in the old style with grass roofs at the tip of the island with the roaring sea all around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



11th July 2010

hello
Looks like you are having a great time, Jan nice job on the blog's, keep sending them and be safe.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb