Swiss Alps to Amsterdam via Heidelberg


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 23rd 2011
Published: August 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Swiss Alps to Amsterdam via Heidelberg



We packed up the tents and headed north to Heidelberg where we spent a few hours strolling along the Neckar River we were found a cheeky baboon statue near the bridge. We passed the large church in the town centre, with a beautiful medieval castle (Schloss) overlooking Heidelberg that had once been destroyed.
An early start led us to the riverside town of St Goar – where we saw the world’s largest beer stein and free-hanging handcarved cuckoo clock. After a brief history on beer steins, we browsed through the shop before grabbing a bite to eat and heading towards our evening destination Amsterdam.
We checked out Amsterdam’s trendy cafes, ‘coffee shops’ as the tour group visited a once-in-a-lifetime cultural evening at the theatre. Very weird!!
The following day we made a stop in Edam where many clogs and dairy farms were seen dotting the countryside. We dropped in to Clogs and Cheese where a local Dutch girl explained the cheese-making process with tastings enough to satisfy (if only we could have brought some back to Australia). We were given a clog-making demonstration before testing out the surprisingly comfortable shoes.
Back in Amsterdam we spent the afternoon checking out the Bloemenmarkt – the world’s only floating flower market. Then it was definitely time to have The Heineken Experience.
Here we delved into the history and culture of Netherlands’ most well-known beer, definitely a highlight of our trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.427s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb