Holland: Vlissingen & Middleburg


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
May 4th 2007
Published: May 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning Flo, Adele, Ian, and Fred and I loaded up the car and hit the road for Holland. We were planning on driving to a town or two, spending the day there, staying a night, and then driving back the next day. We took the GPS along with us—we chose Catherine as our navigator voice this time.

When we arrived in Middleburg the town was packed. People everywhere—and everyone wearing orange. We parked and followed the crowd and the sound of a live band playing not far off. We spent a few hours walking the city, looking at people, eating food, just hanging out…….

As it turned out, monday was a national holiday in Holland; Queen’s Day. So everybody was off from work and out in the streets. In the main square there was a big outdoor stage with bands playing from the afternoon until after midnight.

We spent the night in Vlissengen, at a small camping area by the beach.

Before heading home we stopped at a grocery store to pick up some things. I was excited to find that the store sold peanut butter, and I bought a big tub of it. It is crazy—they don’t sell peanut butter in France, in fact many people have never even tasted it! I made Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches for Flo and I inbetween practices on Wednesday; we shared them with a bunch of the guys and for all of them it was the first time they had ever tasted a P B & J! Crazy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ChurchChurch
Church

This is what the church looked like during the day, when we arrived in Middleburg.
bicycles in Middleburgbicycles in Middleburg
bicycles in Middleburg

There are so many bikers in Holland, both in the cities and in the countryside. Even in small towns and between towns there are special roads built for cyclists.
ConcertConcert
Concert

This is later on in the evening, once the bands were going.


5th May 2007

hi, Really nice pictures! And dutch bikes like usually look really bad. Old women in small Lithuanian villages, have better ones ;) glad U had a nice time!
22nd July 2009

sweet!
omgness you wre in holland for the queens day? but that was effin fun! i love middlburg and vlissengen. rode a bike all thru there. bet you had a kick ass time.

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb