Europa 2013


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » The Hague
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

The HagueThe HagueThe Hague

Cousin Jon
Fairly relaxed day today. Have been having a few 'issues' with my hair so decided to try out a Dutch hairdressing salon. Colour and cut in a trendy, upmarket salon $120.00! Ridiculously cheap compared to back home. Everything is cheaper here . . . but then the average wage is considerably less too.

Nel had arranged for my cousin Jon to visit in the afternoon so on the tram we went once more to Nel's place. (We have become tram catching experts.) It was wonderful to see Jon. At 75 he is the eldest relative on my Dad's side in Holland. He had with him the album he had put together of his visit to Australia in 1997. Some of the photos were hilarious! People change a lot in 16 years . . . thank goodness! Jon spoke a great deal of his memories of my Mum and Dad in the years before they immigrated to Australia. It was just lovely. Communicating with Jon was a challenge for Clive as Jon's English is limited. There were a few blank looks!

We stayed for dinner at Nel's after Jon left and watched the FINA World Championships being held in Barcelona. There is some very serious Netherlands versus Australia rivalry happening with our Cate Campbell taking out the 100 metres freestyle from Dutch Olympic champion Ranomi Kromowidjojo. Nel was not impressed! Tomorrow night they square off again in the 50 metres freestyle so for the sake of Dutch/Australian relations I hope Ranomi wins!

Sadly it was the last time we will see Nel before we leave Holland. Nel and Ron have been wonderful to us during our stay here in Holland and we will miss them. We are already looking forward to seeing them when they visit us in Australia in January next year. They are so much fun and know how to have a good laugh!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb