Europa 2013


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » The Hague
July 30th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The HagueThe HagueThe Hague

The Peace Palace
Visited the Peace Palace this morning. The Peace Palace is known as the seat of International Law because it houses the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration. Australia recently asked the International Court of Justice on a ruling on Japan's whale hunting practises and is awaiting the Court's decision. It's also where Australia challenged France on the legality of its atmospheric nuclear testing in the South Pacific. Fascinating! Unfortunately no guided tour was available but we were able to do an interactive tour of the Visitors Centre. We hope to do a guided tour before we leave The Hague at the end of the week. They are organised spasmodically so we may or may not be lucky. In any event the interactive tour was wonderful and it gave us a great insight into the history of the Peace Palace and its role in international law.

Walked into the outskirts of the city this afternoon and popped into the Douwe Egbert's store and had a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. The Dutch make great coffee if I do say so myself! Oh and I also purchased a few pieces of Douwe Egbert's merchandise. I
The HagueThe HagueThe Hague

Coffee at Douwe Egberts.
now have a 'keep cup' that says 'Neem Tijd' ( Take Time). We had intended to walk into the heart of the city but Clive's map reading was not sharp today and we ended up in outer Siberia. I thought men were supposed to be good at map reading? Definitely not this man. . . (Clive's reputation precedes him.) On the plus side we probably walked 10 kilometres so got plenty of exercise. The down side was that the shops were closed by the time we got to the city!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The HagueThe Hague
The Hague

Love that Dutch coffee!


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb