Groningen and Emmen, spotting the differences with my hometown


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Groningen » Groningen
August 15th 2013
Published: October 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's always funny to notice the differences between Belgium and Holland (despite the fact we're neighbors). Especially when you're travelling with kids, these differences are quickly noticed by the little ones. It's very nice to see their amazement. For me it's one of the things for which we travel, namely discovering new things and cultures.

One of the things that's quite typical for Holland and can't be found in Belgium (as far as i know), is the "Kroket uit de muur". In fact, these are vending machines where you can buy hot snacks like croquettes, burgers,... These are quite popular.

Another difference is the huge amount of cyclists in city-centers. It's nice to see that in cities like Groningen, there is so much attention to environmentally conscious traffic. In Belgium you will find much more cars in city-centers (I have to admit that in my hometown it keeps getting better for cyclists and pedestrians). Any downside to this is, although being pedestrians when we visited Groningen and Emmen, we often had to jump aside for some cyclists who had to be somewhere very, very quickly...

In Groningen we participated at a boat trip. This lasted about one hour. It was nice to see Groningen in a different way. I must admit that I previously thought a boat trip wouldn't please us, that this kind of things were only appreciated by retired people (shame on me!). But when I saw the excitement of our kids, I quickly changed my point of view. So the next time we'll have the opportunity to do a boat trip, we wo'nt say no.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Belgian friesBelgian fries
Belgian fries

Groningen
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Groningen
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Groningen
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Groningen
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Groningen
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Groningen


22nd October 2013
Groningen

The joys of travel
Great photo.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb