a bit of history..


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Wieringerwerf
June 14th 2014
Published: June 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

OLD SCHOOL.OLD SCHOOL.OLD SCHOOL.

this house is one of the ones that originated from the 17th century.

a bit of history..



(we went to a museum today, that really got to the roots of Holland)



DAY THIRTEEN AND FOURTEEN:
With an empty day ahead of us, and mum refusing to spend it lounging around, so we jumped into the car for a road trip to Enkhuizen. Enkhuizen is on a big lake, so it's surrounded by water the village itself is quite pretty and very old fashioned. So it makes sense that Enhuizen itself has a museum. We went there with the initial plan to just look around and see all the canals and boats. The boats varied from row boats all the way to house boats, so the variety was insane and they were all so detailed and colourful it was gorgeous. The day was beautiful as well, so the atmosphere and scenery was just perfection. We wandered along the roads, following the canals and just admiring everything. We followed the canal all the way to where it opened up to the sea and watched all the boats and kite surfers there for a little bit.
Then we carried on, the buildings aged back all the way to around 1600 so the character
ONE SIDE TO ANOTHER.ONE SIDE TO ANOTHER.ONE SIDE TO ANOTHER.

this is the bridge to get from one side of the canal to the other.
of them was just completely different.
(FUN FACT! All the buildings where built so that they slanted forward a tad, this was to allow any large objects that would be hauled through the window. Then the building being on a slant it wouldn't bump against the front of the house.)
So we walked along all the buildings comparing slants but the funny thing was the houses themselves weren't slanted just the front face was tilted, but all the rooms where still 100%!s(MISSING)quare.

Whilst wandering the streets, we'd come across a museum that looked intriguing.. well for dad anyways. Dads a bit of a history nut, so he's always interested in learning something new. So not much of a choice was given to whether or not we'd go into the museum. I was a little bit skeptical about it and not really in the mood for words and learning and stuff, but for dad, we went in. We got a little bit of information and walked through, The first room was all information about the floods that Holland had, the room itself was very creative and the information very clear. All the information was in both English and Dutch
BEING FANCYBEING FANCYBEING FANCY

some of the art that was used at the museum.
so it was obviously a bit of a tourist location. The room had a walkway bridge, and boat debris on the ground, then with all the projectors they made the illusion of water being on the floor, then they had massive speakers creating the sound of thunder and epic wind giving the impression of the storm that did all the damage. If you followed the bridge through the rooms it then went on to explain the design behind the dike, and how it managed flood control so that Holland could be lived on. There were examples of how it would be used and the impact it would make on the land and the water level and how everything would be changed.
Into the next room was all history of the culture of Holland, the ways that they dressed and of course a bit of information on the clogs. They had a whole section dedicated to a lady who was the last person to carry on dressing daily in the traditional Holland clothes. (personally, i thought she looked pretty scary.) There was lots of art and sculptures to demonstrate the traditional dressings and things they did. There was also an entire
SOPHISTICATED.SOPHISTICATED.SOPHISTICATED.

the art even got pretty sophisticated.
room dedicated to the types of boats that had been designed and the construction that they under went. The detail to the boats was ridiculous, all the colour and the carvings made them look great.

Like i said earlier i was a little bit skeptical about the museum, but it turned out being pretty cool and quite interesting. So after all that learning we where getting pretty hungry, we pretty much went to the first thing that we could see sold food. That happened to be a pub, like the pubiest pub ever. It was even surrounded by people that looked like they sit in a pub a lot. But none the less, they served food and there was no way i was going past a frikandel. Dad had one too, and my little sister had a toasted sandwich. After lunch, we headed back towards the car, taking all the scenic walks along the pretty houses. Then we just headed home.

Dads brother and his family where out at an attraction park for a birthday so we had the entire house for ourselves. Unfortunately mum didn't feel like making tea. Which luckily for us meant MORE FRIKANDELSS! and
OPEN VIEW.OPEN VIEW.OPEN VIEW.

this was a view from the bridge looking out over the town.
she also got some chinese from my little cousins work just in wieringerwerf. But none the less, it was a great feed. The rest of the night we just chilled about and relaxed.

The next day i wasn't feeling too crash hot and a bit lazy.. (suprise suprise) so mum and dad and my little sister went out, but i stayed home. It was nice. I had the tunes blasting laid in the sun and worked on my blog. I really didn't mid a quite day. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

HOUSES AND STUFF.HOUSES AND STUFF.
HOUSES AND STUFF.

here's a picture of just how close the houses get to the water. Some houses had boats docked to there own backyards.
ALL THE BOATSALL THE BOATS
ALL THE BOATS

here's a view of all the boats that where just floating about.
DISPLAY DAMAGE.DISPLAY DAMAGE.
DISPLAY DAMAGE.

here's a picture of the display, demonstrating flood damage.
SOMEHOW A COW WAS IMPORTANT.SOMEHOW A COW WAS IMPORTANT.
SOMEHOW A COW WAS IMPORTANT.

if i remember correctly, some farms had been damaged so much by the floods that they had to allow for cows to stay in the house.
GOOD ATMOSPHERE.GOOD ATMOSPHERE.
GOOD ATMOSPHERE.

here's the boat debre, and you can see the projected water illusion on the floor.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb