Experiencing Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone on Travelblog. This is my inaurgural post so please be gentle! Ive decided to do a quick post on one of my favourite European Cities, Amsterdam in The Netherlands. I was there a couple of months ago for a short break and it ws amazing. We took a DFDS ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, which was very pleasant. Id never been before and was pleasantly surprised as to the beauty of the place, i see now why its reffered to as ‘Venice of the North’.


I loved the relaxed atmosphere, which seemed very different from cities iher in Britain. I enjoyed lazing the afternoon away in one of the thousands of cafes and bars throughout the city, as well as being very posh and cultural by visiting one of the many excellent museums.

Here's the 5 best things that i got up to while in Amsterdam!

1. The Van Gogh Museum.

There are so many superb museums in Amsterdam that the choice for visitors can be overwhelming. However, the Van Gogh was my personal favourite by far. This has the largest collection of Van Gogh’s work, which is obviously amazing in itself. The museum building has undergone a recent refurbishment and which makes for a highly enjoyable visitor experience.

2. Went for a cruise along Amsterdam's Canals

If, like me, you only have a short period of time in the city, i would highly recommend taking a canal cruise. This is probably the best way to truly experience the city of Amsterdam. We hired a canal bike and pedalled our way around. Cruiing down the canals and soaking in the atmosphere, passing 17th-century mansions, tree-lined neighborhoods and stunning architecture, both ancient and modern was an unforgettable experience. We went out at night - which is probabaly the best time to take a cruise.

3. The Rijksmuseum

The Netherlands largest national museum, the Rijksmuseum offers the finest collection of 17th-century Dutch works of art in just one wing of its massive Neo-Gothic frame (a sight in itself). “The Masterpieces” exhibition was incredible, featuring works by Dutch masters Rembrandt (my choice), Vermeer and Frans Hals.

4. The Anne Frank House (Anne Frankhuis)

Anyone at all interested in 20th century european history shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to see where Anne Frank penned her world-reknowned diaries during the Nazi occupation of Amsterdam in World War 2. Visiting this museum is a profound experience. Avoid the queues by visiting early or late in the day, or by purchasing tickets in advance. The museum is situated in Westermark which is central Amsterdam.

5. Went for a walk around Amsterdam

A walking tour of Amsterdam offers hours of sightseeing fun. Its also a great option if you are on a budget. Simply pick up a map at one of the Amsterdam Tourist Offices and choose one an area to explore. We would stick to Jordaan (trendy), the “Nine Streets” of the Central Canal Ring; Oude Zijde (historical area); or the Eastern Canal Ring and its stately mansions. There are over 1,000 bridges and an opportunity for a photograph around every corner.

Overall, there is so much to do in Amsterdam, i cant wait to get back!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb